Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 200 server with Winnt server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobpaulose

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
IN
Hi there

Can anybody help me, I have a Winnt 4.0 Server as PDC
I want to make win2000 server as Additional Domain Controller. When ever i run DCPROMO and give additional option, it doent find the Winnt Domain Controller. Pls. Help ASAP

didn't think you could do it that way round. Thought you could only have a mixed environment when running acrtive directory.

Win2K *cannot* be a BDC in an NT4 domain. Only NT4 servers can be BDCs in an NT4 domain.

is this definitive?

I have a similar situation - client with an NT4 domain (PDC+BDC) and a new 2000 server to go in.

We would like to replace the BDC with the new machine - we are happy to migrate the domain so the 2000 machine is primary, and the current PDC is a backup, but are not sure how to go about this - initial thoughts of just installing the 2000 machine as a BDC and promoting it obviously don't work...

robaph, I would install a new NT4 BDC then switch off your current PDC. Promote the new BDC to PDC then install Win2000 onto this machine. If it all goes wrong you can shutdown the new PDC and bring the original one back online. If it all works your old PDC can be rebuilt as a BDC, you then end up with clean builds on your PDC and BDC.

I am in a similar situation, I have 3 NT Servers and want to introduce a 4th Server with Win2k. I want to install as a member Server and leave the PDC & BDC as is.

Are there any issues with this? I need 2000 CALS apparently otherwise workstations will not see Server 2000.

Thanks

JP

JP,

There won't be any problem in making a Win2k as a member server on an NT4 domain. There will be no issues on the CALS. I have the same setup and have installed 3 Win2k servers and one of them is our production DB server. Everything's fine.

Gensan

I am installing Win2k tomorrow, will I need users to log off the network when I join the Win2k member server to the NT domain?

Thanks

JP

JP,

No need for your users to log off. Just treat it as a any other machine or server member of your domain. Just be sure not to install the Active Directory Services if you still intend to use your NT as your PDC.

Hope this helps.

gensan

Thanks gensan, Will I need to create a computer account on the PDC first for the 2000 member server before I join it to the NT domain?

JP

Same procedure when you add a new member server in NT. You can create the computer account while installing or you can add it after you have installed the OS. If you will do it while installing, you need to know some info beforehand like IP add of your DNS or WINS, DHCP, whichever is applicable.

I joined the Win2k member Server to the NT network and had no problems.

Thanks for your help

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back