Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 10 + FireFox + XMarks (former Foxmarks) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

krabban

Programmer
Oct 18, 2003
SE
I just got an ordinary Dell laptop running Win 10 Home. Nothing fancy!
I have a bunch of other computers at home and I've been using XMarks for the past... 15-20 years... on Macs and Windows computers.

Simply a long time!

It seems as though I'm the only person in the world with this combo, Win 10 + Firefox + XMarks, because I couldn't find any other reported issue!
Simply, it will not work!

No sync is made... Settings is all wacko and all seems so different from the previous ten - or so - installs that I've made during the years!

There is a neat link about FireFox saying that in November of 2017 there will be a whole new release an third party developers must update...

Of-course, I can't find that link at the moment, sitting at another computer(!!)...

Are there any known issues about this...!? Or is it simply me!! :)

Not just you, a lot of people are having issues according to the xmarks add on link. Sounds like until Last pass makes an update, it won't function.

Thank you!!
This post means very much for me, because I didn't find any information of this in Internet.
But... at the other hand.
Maybe I need to be patient and I shall wait until November.... to see, what happens with FireFox 57! Maybe XMarks will work with that edition!?

I rest my case!

I'm not so sure about LastPass. I've heard of it... But never used or made any notice.

This page is in Swedish, from a link inside Fire Fox, along with the addon Xmarks.
I couldn't find it in English, I was looking.
According to this page, all will be good by November where old things will stop working and all addons will need to use the new framework.... Xmarks will use that framework.

Does this means that all there is at the moment are failing copies of Xmarks and no sync is being made from any place to any one...?
If so, I was expected to find more when doing a google search! It's all!

November will be in 20-30 days... so, just to wait and then download!! What could possibly go wrong!? ;-)

LastPass is the company that now own and develop XMarks.

The lastpass add in in Firefox will stop working when Firefox gets to version 57 (it is currently 56). Since I am a paid user and eligible for support, I asked lastpass when the new API will be implemented. I got the following response

Thanks for emailing us. FireFox 57 only supports extensions that are fully on the WebExtensions API.
LastPass is not WebExtensions API compatible and, therefore, will not work in Firefox 57 versions.
Firefox plans to release 57 to the stable build in November and we will be ready by then. You can see the planned scheduling for Firefox 57 here:
But we are working towards this and will be compatible before it releases to the stable version.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Thank you!
That's mostly the same information as I posted above... but I couldn't find it in English.
Excuse me.

Now... a new "feature" appears! When importing my bookmarks from html, they don't show in the menu... the menu is visible... but they show while typing in the address field!

Oh, well! Maybe it will go away later!
Life is full of surprises!! :)

Are there more than me using Xmarks?
I would say, it's sort of working! What's your experience!?

I am happy, yes, but still... there are some strange errors and even errors with the errors! :)

I assume these people are working on a solution? The best would be, just to wait...
I'm not running any settings. Simply just all at once, all in one large file... it's possible to separate computer from each other, to have for work, home and so on... I've never had any of that. Just all together!

I'm using FireFox with Windows 10 and two Windows 8.2.

I've also got addins that won't work properly from firefox 57 (its the integration with KeeFox). As a precautionary measure I have switched to the Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox at home to allow this to continue. Its main aim is for corporates, but it will work well for this purpose as well.

ESR x64 at present is version 52.4.1 and it gives the developers several months to iron out the issues with the updated addons, and allows me to continue using KeePass/KeeFox combination while still getting security patches until the updates are out any any bugs ironed out.

John

Thank you for an intelligent post....! :)
My skills are not that great!

I'm not complaining, no, but rather wondering why it seems to work, but somehow always fail!
It seems as the bookmarks are not saved server side and while doing a sync always ends up in some error and eventually that error ask if it is OK to download from the server. Meaning, no saved bookmarks are actually delivered from client to client. They seem to stick at one client.

Well.
We'll wait and see! Thank you for the reply!

I'm looking at this page, thinking, there are many dates and much information to look at...!

I really like the new Xmarks integration with FireFox!
However, as some of you have notice, I hope, Xmarks is not really slick and slim, as it used to be!

I'm sure this will be fixed... eventually!
Please guide me! When will this "eventually" actually happens...!?
What's your guess??

Do you have the same errors as me, by the way? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back