Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 10 File Explorer Alternative 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi. Does anyone know of a stable alternative to Windows 10 File Explorer? I'm looking for something that will allow me to view up to 4 'windows' at once. I appreciate that Win 10 File Explorer can be opened to provide this but I was hoping to find an alternative that would open up to 4 at once. Not looking for anything 'fancy' just something that I can move files and folders from one location to another easily.

I've undertaken an online search and there seems to quite a number of them but I would rather trust a recommendation from yourselves.

Grateful for any help you can give.

Voisey
Chris

xyplorer is pretty good - not free though

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Hmmm...
1) you can right-click on the file explorer icon and select "File explorer" again, which will open a new File Explorer window.
2) You can hold Control while double-clicking a folder to open it in a new window
3) You can pin folders to the File Explorer icon to open them more quickly
4) You could write a batch file, something like:
start c:\dload
start c:\users
start d:\whatever
... and then double-clicking that batch file would open all of those in separate explorer windows

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to achieve that can't be done with File Explorer.

Just my $.02

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Hi
Thanks for these suggestions. It's only a matter of me wanting to sort my folders/files into a more logical order by being able to view a number of folders in various places (Explorer view 1;2; and/or 3) at the same time and sorting/moving them to a new more logical location (Explorer view 4).
Not sure if that makes sense but at least I know what I mean:)
I will have a look at each and thank you gbaughma for reminding me of what can be done with Excel itself. Appreciated.

Thanks again

Chris

You could also make sure that each explorer window is launched in a separate process. When you are doing a lot of file movement, it stops Windows explorer from grabbing too much memory and locking up.

A review of seven explirer alternatives can be found for instance here (January 2019).

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back