Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will VLANs solve this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beye1850

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2002
US
I have 8 separate LANs
Each LAN has 5 nodes
The IP addresses of the nodes are 10.11.10.1 to 10.11.10.5 (this cannot be changed)
I need the nodes on all 8 LANs to be able to connect to a server on another LAN

If I setup a VLAN for each of the 8 LANs plus 1 VLAN for the server on a 2950 Cisco Switch, will this allow all the nodes to connect to my server, or will I recieve IP conflicts since each LAN has the same IP addresses in use?

Thanks for the help

Terry

I dont believe so. The 2950 cannot do that.
Network devices in different VLANs cannot communicate with one another without a router to forward traffic between the VLANs

Im sorry I forgot mention that we also have a 1700 Series Router which can handle the communications between the VLANs

Your best bet is to get a router and implement Network Address Translation on each LAN interface (be it a VLAN interface or a physical LAN interface). That way the node addresses will appear as separate individual entities to the server and fix your duplicate address issue.

Hope this helps ( and makes sense).

Hi,
It seems unrealistic that you cannot change the IP addresses of only a few hosts to make your life a lot easier!!

My 2p worth.
Phil. If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

I somewhat agree but sometimes the mountain must come to Mohammed. Maybe this gets around licensing? Terry?

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back