Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will this harware setup work w WS2003 Enterprise SP1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobk5444

Programmer
Jan 28, 2005
US
Hello i'm trying to build a Sharepoint developer work station and am trying to verify that the following machine will be able to handle the loading of a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1 software install please?

Thanks very much for any insights and i'm being pretty cautious cos when i de-install the Vista on this machine the warranty will be nullified!

Warranty Terms - Parts
1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labor
1 year limited
Product Height
1.3"
Product Width
13.2"
Product Weight
5.2 lbs.
Product Depth
9.5"
Processor Brand
Intel®
Processor
Intel® Core™2 Duo Mobile
Processor Speed
2.0GHz
Display Type
WXGA high-definition widescreen with HP BrightView technology (1280 x 800)
Screen Size
14.1"
System Bus
800MHz
Cache Memory
2MB on die level 2
System Memory (RAM)
4GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To
8GB
Type of Memory (RAM)
DDR2
Hard Drive Type
Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Hard Drive Size
250GB
Optical Drive
Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds
Drive speeds not specified
Direct-Disc Labeling
Yes
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
Graphics
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 45000MHD
Video Memory
Up to 1759MB total available
Personal Video Recorder (PVR)
No
TV Tuner
No
MPEG
Yes
Built-in Webcam
Yes
Modem
56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
Networking
Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking
Wireless-B+G
Bluetooth-Enabled
No
S-Video Outputs
No
Additional Audio/Video Connectors
HDMI
Audio
Altec Lansing
PCMCIA Slots
1 ExpressCard/54
USB 2.0 Ports
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports
None
Parallel Ports
None
Serial Ports
None
Game Ports
None
Laptop Weight
Ultraportable (5.5 lbs. or less)
Battery Type
Lithium-ion
Pointing Device
Touchpad
Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
Included Software
HP PhotoSmart Essentials, QuickPlay; Microsoft Works; muvee autoProducer; Cyberlink DVD Suite; Adobe Acrobat Reader; ProtectSmart
Included Accessories
HP mobile remote
ENERGY STAR Qualified
Yes
Color Category
Black

yes actually i've gone over those requirements several times and this machine does seem to exceed those requirements, so if i meet those requirements then i should be good to go? the reason i'm quadroople checking is there always seems to be some small this or that that's not mentioned and unless one is a WS2003 guru, it seems insurmoutable or non-end-runnable for the average joe.

ok so if i meet those reqs then i will keep my fingers crossed and go for it then and assuume there aren't any gotchas that are not on that reqs list that can't be overriden or dummied out somehow?

thanks for response!
bobk

bob, Windows 2003 runs pretty well on low end hardware. I have a few lab machines that are Pentium 450Mhz running some basic services for dev and they run well.
Since you are building a Sharepoint development environment, you should focus on reviewing your requirements for Sharepoint as opposed to Windows 2003. HTH

yes good points itsp..., i quess what i found out when i went to BestBuy yesterday was that even if i buy a machine with the right components, i will probably run into problems with the drivers, so i quess i'm going to have Microcenter custom build the PC and load the WS2003 so they should have all the necessary drivers i'm hoping, still need to ask how they're going to do that. By the way i'm thinking about buying the WS2003 software off ebay:

Can you tell me if the Enterprise version is about the same in terms of install complexity? Or would i run into more driver problems with the Enterprise version possibly?

Thanks again
BobK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back