Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will reinstallation of Win2000 from CD erease my other partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

softdrink

Programmer
Jul 26, 2001
CA
I'm reinstalling win2000. I have 2 other partitions, Will the CD installation (clean installation)erease my other partitions, or whats on them?

softdrink

no it wont just have setup to format your c: partition and load, the other 2 partions should be unaffected

No. You have a choice of which partition you want to install Win 2000.

spool

No.

Assuming you are installing to the first partition, they should remain untouched. If installing 2k on second or subsequent partition, the install will create a 2k boot sector on the first partition.

IT DEPENDS!!!!!

Do you have a W2K installation CD or a "RESTORE" CD that loads a preconfigured windows/application environment!!!

If it's the latter, it will fdisk and erradicate all previous life forms on the platters... JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

I have the original win2000 installation cd. I asks me to do a clean installation as one of the options.

Will that erease the content on the other partitions?
SD

It won't even erase the contents of the partition you're installing into unless you remove & recreate or format the partition as part of install process (just overwrite \winnt).

yes, you are prompted for which partition to install on. You are also prompted as to whether you want to format that partition, or leave the file system in tact. leaving it intact will only affect fiels in the winnt folder.

I have installed windows 2000 on a partition (half the drive). Then I created another primary partition with the other half (win2k allows you to create up to 4 primary partitions) and made it the active partition. When I rebooted, I installed 2000 again on the newly created active partition. I doesn't affect the previous installation on the other partition. I could have installed any OS I wanted like 98. By using fdisk to switch the active partition, you choose which one you want to boot. The boot sectors for each partition are independent this way. The active partition chosen is always considered the C: drive, the other partition is D: so you can read and write to the other partition as long as the operating system reads the format (FAT32, FAT16, NTFS).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back