Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

will Paradox 4.5 DOS run on Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonlusk

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have an old system written in Parados 4.5 for DOS.
I have been running on Windows 98. It works well.
I am buying a new computer and Windows XP is the operating system.
Will Parados 4.5 for DOS run?
What is the setup?
Thanks Lon Lusk

I think you may have some printing problems to overcome, but it will work. I've heard that a FireWire or Parallel cable works, but USB does not. I have not played with it myself since we have completely converted to PDoxWin. If you can find Steve Green, I'm betting he will know better than anyone. He may even have some details on his website ( Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Pdox45 runs fine in XP, I had alot more problems with 2000 than I did with XP. As for installation it no different, Langley is right about the printing, but only if you share printers over the network, because pdox uses LPT port printing and port mapping is a little tricky in 2000 and XP but can be done. If you run pdox from nework drives, and after installation it seem to really drag when switching drives or directories, after a month of headaches, believe me, it's a network issue because of the higher security levels in the OS, it's not a comptibilty issue.

Brent

Any luck working around the sluggish drive/directory problem? I'm seeing it at one site with PdoxDOS 4.5, WinXP clients on Novell 3.12 server. At another site, they're running Pdox4.02(!), WinXP clients and Netware 6.5 and performance is good. I'm hoping to find a real explanation for what's happening, so can perhaps do something about it.

--Dick

Dick,

The "sluggish drive" problem may be related to a couple of different configuration settings. I sort of have to guess, but here are a couple of things I've done to improve Paradox/DOS performance in similar environments:

1) Review Novell settings and boost the receive buffer cache size to the maximum size (e.g. 4KB) instead of the default of 1.5KB. This lets you transmit a standard table buffer in one packet instead of three, thereby improving performance.

2) Make sure that no local directory contains more than 256 files, especially if it's a FAT drive.

3) Review the table structures and make certain that large tables are queried in ways that return smaller answer sets. Design reports to link from the answer table back to the original large table.

4) Verify that optimistic locking is disabled on XP and other NT-derived clients.

Hope this helps...

-- Lance

Thanks, Lance, I'll try to get our net admin to work on items 1 and 4. I'm the PdoxDos programmer so have control over how queries and reports are constructed, etc. In general performance is excellent for Win98 clients and intermittently slower, or much slower, for WinXP clients.

I'm sitting at an XP box most of the time, and notice that file system operations -- the {View} dialog, changing working directories, and saving scripts from the (external) editor -- are slower on XP and _much_ slower when I've walked away from the keyboard for awhile. It's as if XP decides after awhile not to trust the network environment, and has to verify that all network drives (including peer-to-peer connections that coexist with our Novell server) are still there. My hope is this behavior is also due to settings that can be changed.

Thanks for any comments.

--Dick

A fail-safe way is to install V-Com's Partition Commander ver 8.0. I just did it and cost around 60 smokes or so. My new computer was shipped with Win XP on a one partition C Drive of 80Gig. What I did was build a 2Gig part for DOS (DOS 6.22 plus other DOS software), another 2Gig for DOS (mostly DOS data), and another 76Gig for Win XP-Home and all that stuff. The package moved the original stuff into the 76 Gig partion and created and formatted (for DOS) the other 2 partitions.

This V-Com package switches the boot around to call the 1st 2Gig the C Drive if you boot into DOS or to call the 76Gig C Drive if you boot into windows. The part that does this is called System Commander and I've used it since 1995. It may not be what you want, but it sure works and it's 100% DOS,Pdox 4.5, and Win XP compatible.

BTW, I just joined today and my handle says technical user or some such word which I'm not. That was the closest thing I saw to what I do. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back