Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Onstream recover one day or do we have to give up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchdm

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
BE
Has anyone, specially G. Wootton, an idea if Onstream will be brought again on de market (by a firm which will take over the bankrupted company) or is it without any hope to see again the onstream products (which were very good indeed).

Honestly, I don't have information on when it's going to come back over and above that when they filed for bankrupcy the courts assigned someone to supervise the reorganization of the company. As far as I know, they will be coming back, but these things take time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another year or so before they come back.

Thanks,
Greg

Mr G. Wootton,

Many thanks for the job you are doing for the onstream users.

bchdm

Hi all,
As an ex-employee of OnStream I can confirm that the company ceased to exist in june 2003. There are no short term plans to revive it, and at the moment I do not know if the technology and know-how of the ADR tape format will re-emerge in new products.

As for support:
Linux: The Osst scsi tape driver development is being maintained at: SourceForge
Home page - Project page - Mailing list -
Windows: I wrote the ADR2k driver (vincentg). The most recent version 1.12 (microsoft certified) is compatible with XP, .NET and server 2003.
It can be downed at Hastec:

If the need arises, I'll probably build new driver versions.

Also have a look at the Windows 2000/XP support utility Tape@Once.

Giuz

Thanks a lot Giuz,

I have also the inpression that it is done for Onstream, wiht the DVD an blue Ray coming.

That is a pity, because it was a very good product.

Wonderful that you and a person as Gregg Wootton can still help us

bchdm

As a DI-30 user for several years, I am extremely disappointed and concerned about the fact that Onstream is no longer in business. I rely heavily on this form of backup and if the drive breaks, I will be totally out of luck.

I am wondering if anyone here has an opinion on whether or not it is worthwhile to continue to rely on this unit. It might even make sense to stop using it (big bummer!). A huge dilemma since there is really nothing else that I can find to replace it. I would appreciate anyone else's comments/feedback.

Our company started using the Sony AIT models this past year, tapes take a minute or two to cycle, but backups fly once they get going. Has some 90gb capacity, and its just under a grand.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hello everyone,

I have the impression Onstream will never recover.

I think it is very dangerous to continue to rely on this solution. If the array burns or is stolen, it will be a very big problem to restore the datas. It will take a lot of time to find on the second hand market an compatible array.

For myself, I switched to the DVD technology. I have 2,8 GB datas (accountant office)and the DVD is enough.

BCHDM

Hi, I'm writing to Giuz. Hope you get this.
I'm new to this forum but have been looking for info about what happened to Onstream for a while. Thanks for the info.

I went to the URL ref for the latest software and unfortunately the downloads are no longeer there. In fact the URL's don't exist any more.

Have you or anyone else got an update on where drivers and utils are available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back