Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will not reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.

calamitycj

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2003
US
We are migrating to W2K professional from Win 98. Initially I was under the impression that if I chose to install a fresh copy of W2K rather than upgrade, that this would wipe the hard drive and install the new files. I found instead all the old files are kept as new files are loaded, and 2.5 gigs of the HD were full after loading W2K. I have successfully reformatted several machines from CD, then installed the OS, and the space problem has been eliminated. I have run into a problem though with one machine, it will not format. When I get to the reformat stage, I get the usual prompt that I will lose all data on the drive ect., I enter 'y' for yes. The machine hesitates and then reverts back to the initial prompt and does not reformat. How do I force this reformat? These are all the same kind of machine, I do not understand this problem!

Thanks for your help.

If I understand your problem correctly.........
You are doing a fresh install, using the CD to boot from.

If this is the case....Then you need to delete all partitions on the hard drive and re-petition it. W2K forces a partion of at least 8mg to be left over regardless of the size of the hard drive. I think it's 8. After doing the above you should be told to format. I had the same problem with a PC here, that is what I did and it worked! JFM....(don't ask) Grin

[blues]

W. W. Findley V
Systems Administrator
SV, MX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back