Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Local Admin Priv give Admin Domain Priv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonSI

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2004
US
Ok,

I have a user that requires Local Admin rights. This is a developer. But he does not need any Network / Domain admin rights.

I have made him part of our "Developer" group in the domain, and has the rights to get where he needs, and not get into areas he is not suppose to.

If I was to give this developer Administrator privegles on his local win2k Pro wks, (Control Panel - user and password - Add New User - Name / Domain - Administrator).

He can do anything he want on the pc, but cannot access resource on the network that requires "Administrator" access.. Is this correct?

Ton

just to add to mattwray's corect post..

a local administrator could ONLY connect to a domain resource locked down to domain admins by supplying a DOMAIN ADMIN password only.

Make sure your domain admin passwords are long, contain numbers, letters, in different cases, AND include special characters. It should be the most guarded and secure password in the world to you.

For what it's worth...not even our Senior VP of Information Systems has domain admin access.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back