Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will I survive in a Windows 8 world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
My trusty old HP desktop running Windows XP Service Pack 3 is about to give up the ghost. I have run every diagnostic, run several malware programs, cleaned up old programs I no longer use, and my computer is still very slow to launch programs like CS2 InDesign. Takes about 10 minutes to launch.

Am I even going to be able to use CS2 in Win8?

In a perfect world, I would be able to find a new desktop computer, then use Windows 7 and load it. Is that possible with the new computers on the market?

Last year I bought one of the last Win 7 laptops that Walmart had in their stock, and so happy I did.

Thanks,

Daniel

>In a perfect world, I would be able to find a new desktop computer, then use Windows 7 and load it. Is that possible with the new computers on the market?
Dell's website still has Optiplex and Inspirons with Win7.

Is that possible with the new computers on the market?

Independent computer dealers in Atlanta still have 7 for installation. You might not be able to find something from a large manufacturer because of driver issues but there are still boards available for the clones.

I've installed 7 on older Dell stuff, the major issues are the need for more memory and lack of drivers for the onboard network stuff.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Windows 8 will happilly run anything that can run on Widnows 7 just fine. Its built on top of the Windows 7 base. The differences are mostly cosmetic, you should ahve noissues with Windows 8 in Desktop mode which is pretty much Windows 7 minus a few things.

I don't see major issues with running software. Getting useed to the Start Screen on the other hand may be a bit more challenging.

Still most manufacturers should still offer drivers for Windows 7 for their current machines. So it would just be matter of wiping Windows 8 and installing Windows 7.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

On new computers I stick with Windows 7 pro (or better) for a lot of my business accounts, just because it offers XP Mode, which is needed for some of their older software, other than that, some flavor of Windows 8 is the deal. IMO Windows 8 on a new system, can't be beat as far as being stable, just so very few problems & installing peripherals is no task.

Found a couple of programs at iObit. One is Classic Shell and the other is Start Menu 8. Hopefully they will ease me into the craziness of Win 8.

Thanks for the advice!

Daniel

Update on the old HP tower. I found a Windows XP Service Pack 2 disk that I got at a tech convention that had an install date of 2006 written on it. Not bad usage out of the HP! Thirteen years is really good for any computer these days.

I have my eye on a Toshiba laptop with 12GB of ram, an I7 4th gen. processor, and a 1TB hard drive. Should have more than enough guts to run my CS programs.

My son says there is a way of removing the hard drive and attaching a USB cable to it and transferring my program files. But I think I have removed all I wanted from it.

Daniel

Probably a bit late. You can load win7 on any machine running win8. In fact if you build yourself or have built a tower you can generally install xp! (motherboards still come with xp drivers.) As well as the 2 win8 conversion apps, there's start8 and modernmix from Stardock. As far as I am concerned win8 is a complete waste of time on desktop or laptop (and 8.1 - Microsoft just haven't got it.) Whether they ever will again or just drive everybody to tablets (and not Surface!) remains to be seen.

Bought the Toshiba laptop and am now wading through the muck and the mire of Win8! IE Metro drives me crazy, but I have learned to use the View on Desktop button. That helps a little.

Maybe 8.1 will have some improvements. Let's hope the Microsoft engineers listened to the voice of the hundreds of millions who are disappointed with the Win8 interface and made some concessions. But I have a sneaking suspicion that they think it is neater than sliced bread and consider themselves brilliant![wink]

Oh, well.

Daniel

If you cannot survive Windows world... there always a free alternative LInux :) Even, you can install Linux on your old Laptop which running Windows XP instead of throwing away... or dual boot

After that, the question will be : Will you survive in Linux World ? LOL

Good luck and take care.

p.s :I am using Windows 8 and am getting to use to it.... and waiting for the 8.1 release

Learning is not enough, you have to apply it...

Same here. I am learning something everyday, but the whole interface is silly and beyond the comprehension of lots of people. There is some hope that 8.1 will help settle at least a bit of the mess, but I'm not getting my hopes up!

Daniel

For update, I just installed W8.1 yesterday and let me tell you, nothing is change.... at least for me. I was expecting a start button on desktop like in windows 7.... but no. It is not like in Windows7.

The button simply let you go back to Start page. When you are in your desktop, it's like you were pressing Windows logo on keyboard to go to Start page.

I do not want to discourage anyone but honestly, I was really disappointed[flame]

Learning is not enough, you have to apply it...

Ok, I'll say this for Windows 8.
It take time to get used to.
This of the Start screen as a MASSIVE start menu.
The Windows key is your friend, USE IT.
"All Apps" is where you find all the programs.
If it installs into the old desktop and you want it on the main page, just right click > Add to Start.
Group them, it makes it so much easier.
Honestly when you get used to it, it IS easier, just give it time.
However widescreen monitors to suit it best, but you can get some stunning ones for not that much money.
Just loose the attitude of "Where's my start menu, ahhh I can't live without it" and go Oh look I have a nice big Excel icon on my dekstop now.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Sorry Sympology 8 & 8.1 is simply more awkward to use in native form. And I never want full screen apps that obscure everything else - ok on a phone or tablet (apple or android, NOT windows naturally.) Start8/modernmix combo makes it more usable. Most of the apps I use are in a toolbar on the taskbar as small icons with no text, so I have access to 30 or 40 apps on a few inches of screen less than an inch wide.

Its weird that apple & android phones & tablets have a more windows like (ie, icons on desktops) interface than windows 8.

Unless somebody else takes up 'legacy' windows, as M$ seem to have abandoned their hundreds of millions/billions? user base, I suppose we'll all have to get use to something else sooner or later - but it seems such a shame that 'normal' users, many of who get thrown if a toolbar appears/disappears from their browser, but are generally comfortable using windows xp/7 (even vista) are going to be forced out of their comfort zone. Most of my customers are 60-90 years old, and windows 8 is not enhancing their lives.

Well said, Wolluf! Microsoft must have thought they needed something to beat-out Apple, and it had to be different that Any OS before. It made no difference who they left in the dust.

I am 65, and a long-time tech in an educational setting. My first computer was a Mac Classic. I was a Mac-head for quite a few years until I started working on yearbooks as a part-time job. Then I switched to my first PC running Windows 95 and progressed up through 98, XP, and 7 (I was lucky and was able to skip Vista). I have two PC laptops, an iPad, and an iPhone, so I can get around pretty well in "computer land," but Windows 8 is pretty weird, stupidly laid out, and confusing for LOTS of faithful Windows users regardless of age!

I am getting used to 8, somewhat, but I don't like having to wade through an un-intuitive OS.

But Microsoft simply doesn't care. It is just that simple!

Daniel

I can't survive with Windows 8. I'm jumping out the window(s) this afternoon. I've had it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back