Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will FJ Net COBOL for Win read MicroFocus indexed files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyG

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
US
Hello,

Does anybody know if Fujitsu Net COBOL for Windows version 7 will read MicroFocus indexed files ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

I do not believe FJ .Net Cobol will read indexed files created by MicroFocus directly. It may be that MicroFocus supplies some File access routines either in the form of a Library or DLL that can be called from other languages to access their files. Not knowing MicroFocus Cobol specifics I can not give you any better answer than that.

You might try and post a question on the MicroFocus Cobol Forum asking if MicroFocus includes the type of callable routines I talked about above.

Good Luck. Maybe someone out there monitoring this site will have done this before.

etom

Tony,

i wrote a program in C++ which converts MF idx-3, idx-4 or c-isam format to fujitsu cobol format. it can not deal with idx-8 format. it will need both MF runtime and fujitsu runtime.
i am unable to post the source here, because it is part of a system containing about a hundred of c++ sources. i want to send the executable to you if you want to post your e-mail address here.
if you want to go the way etom suggests, look in MF documentation for the callable file-handler, "EXTFH".

Marcel

Tony,

We have done what you want to do. After many months of struggling with it we figured it out. We had even contacted Fujitsu tech support and they said it couldn't be done although their documentation hinted it could be done. The key is using (and having access to) the Micro Focus file handler. Once you have that its only a matter of putting some directives in the cobol initialization (.CBR)file and possibly modifying the select statement depending on how you are handling your file names.

Here are the directives to put in the initialization file
@CBR_EXFH_API=MFFH
@CBR_EXFH_LOAD=MFFH.DLL
these lines tell the program to use the MicroFocus file handler (MFFH) to read the files. You also need ",EXFH" after the file name (without the quotes, must be caps).

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back