Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will Access97 and Access2003 Play together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evalesthy

Programmer
Oct 27, 2000
US
I have looked on MS website and cannot find the answer. Can Access 97 be installed on a pc that has Access 2003 installed? You can with A97/A2000. Also, will an Access 97 runtime run in an Office 2003/Access 2003 environment? I have heard rumors that this will be a problem - but cannot find any documentation. MS website mentions Access 2000, 2002, 2003 compatibility - but that is all I found.

Please do not put Access 97 and 2000 together. You can user Access 97 as your backend and try new stuff in Access 2000 for you frontend.

Network Security( CCNA, CISSP)
Sell Shopping Cart/Merchant Account
Access Expert
rsmith@litsllc.com

Pure guessing: I'm sure 2003 will interoperate as well as 2000/2002 with previous versions of Access. Meaning, Access 97 databases can't be directly opened by a newer version until they're converted, so what's the point?

Having 97 and 2003 installed on the same machine--this will be interesting to see. From what I've read, you're supposed to install the versions from oldest (97) first to newest (2003?) last, but I don't know if it applies for 2003.

Don't know.

foolio12 - Your second paragraph is what I am concerned about. Users will have Access 97 databases that they have not yet (or do not want to) convert. Access 97 and Access 2000 can be installed on the same pc no problem (see MS Knowledge Base article 241141)

My question still stands - if a pc has Office 2003/Access 2003 can Access 97 be installed on the same pc, and/or will an Access 97 runtime run on this pc.

I have both Access 97 and Access 2003 on the same machine with no problems. (Win XP Media Center platform).

The only caveat is that Access 97 MUST be installed FIRST, and in a non-default directory. (I called mine Access97)

Then install Access 2003. Make sure you hold down the SHIFT key for the first time when opening databases to determine which version of the program you wish to run.

That version will continue to run until you choose otherwise.

Thanks for you feedback.

If you are opening databases from a shortcut you can specify Acc97 or Acc2003 in the shortcut properties so that it always opens correctly.

Example:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office2K\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\SupportDB\SoftwareSupport.mdb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back