Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Will a timer event decrease a form's performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallunarCrew

Programmer
Sep 3, 2006
US
I have an Access form that has a button to read Outlook emails and based on what it finds do specific things. When I click the button it takes about 2 seconds to process the emails properly. I want to add this button to a very complex form and have it be automatically clicked every 15 minutes using the complex form's timer event. I have no problem with making this work but am wondering if the existence of the timer running all the time will degrade the form's performance. It is not the events the timer triggers that concern me since I know that only takes a couple of seconds it is the actual timer running - somewhere, Access is having to "count" the number of milliseconds I set the interval to. This is the part I am concerned might decrease performance as the form is used for everyday operations in a doctor's office and is open all the time. This is in Access 2013. Thanks for any thoughts.

A timer doesn't really run in quite that way. You shouldn't see any performance hit.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do not have a true test environment - just a copy of the live database on the same server where it is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back