Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wfuphan

MIS
Jul 8, 2004
US
I have a table in my database that lists different documents, and each document has an assigned 8-10 digit document number. Each document number is unique, however the basic structure of the number is about the same. For example, one number might be 546-RES-09-092 and another might be 546-SS-08-023. So, to make it easier on the person entering this data into the database, I set up an input mask that corresponds with the number structure.

The problem I'm having, involves a query that I set up to locate specific documents. Due to the input mask some of the document numbers have spaces where there isn't a character assigned to the space. So, 546-SS-08-023 comes out as 546- SS-08-023. I need a query that will find the document number regardless of the space or not because the average user will not know to input the spaces. Is this possible?
Thanks

Something like this ?
WHERE Replace([table name].[document number], " ", "") = Replace([Enter a document number], " ", "")

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I set up my query as follows, and I get an undefined function message box for the Replace function. Did I set it up right?

SELECT [Outgoing Doc log_1].[Log Number], [Outgoing Doc log_1].[Document Number], [Outgoing Doc log_1].[Document Title], [Outgoing Doc log_1].Author, [Outgoing Doc log_1].Status
FROM [Outgoing Doc Log] AS [Outgoing Doc log_1]
WHERE REPLACE([Outgoing Doc Log].[Document Number], " ", "") =REPLACE([Document Number?], " ", "")

Which version of access ?
Works on mine (ac2003)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Access '97, I guess this function wasn't defined back then. That answers some questions though, because I've been using a book that hasn't been too much help.

Are there any other ways of solving this problem without that function?

Create your own Public function in a standard code module.

Hope This Helps, PH.

This faq has "replacement" functions for 97 faq705-4342 (Replace, InStrRev, Join, Split...), can save some time;-)

Roy-Vidar

make the query entry something like this but with your form name and textbox name

Like "*" & [forms]![MainClosed]![txtDate] & "*"

It will be a total wildcard system

Hope this helps

Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back