Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wildcards in SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev

Programmer
May 7, 1998
AM
I am trying to program a routine to check for certain elements within an email address. i.e. *@mailserver.com The problem is that I can't see a way to have sql check for wildcards. Actually at this moment I am using Access to program my database. I am using some sql in my programming. Is there a way to do this? Or do I need to migrate over to SQL Server to do it? Can it even be done?

I don't know about Access, but in VFP you can imbed VFP functions in SQL - which isn't a good idea if you're planning to upsize to SQL server, and there is a performance hit. An example:

SELECT * FROM names WHERE '@mailserver.com' $(lower(email))

The VFP $ operator means "is contained in".

I think what you're looking for is:

Select * from names where mail like '%@mailserver.com'

The % is a wildcard operator in SQL.

Captaincaveman has the right of it. The original SQL standard specifies % (percent) as the multi-character wildcard symbol and _ (underscore) as the singl-character wildcard symbol. However, MS Access (and several other database systems) use the DOS wildcard symbols, * form multi-character and ? for single-character. I've even run across one odd-ball DBMS that allowed both!

using the 'LIKE %String%'in the Where clause will return true if the 'String' exist in the row being examined, regardless of the position of the 'String' in the row.<br>
For example:<br>
<br>
Select * from myTable WHERE ColumnX LIKE %ABCD%<br>
<br>
will return true if 'ABCD' was found in ColumnX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back