Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WiFi Radio Switch won't turn 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatertot45

Technical User
Jun 11, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place, Let me know if it is not. I have a Dell D610, XP-Pro laptop that I am working on for someone. The wiFi is messed up on it and this is why I have it. I noticed that the install was very basic, like maybe someone had to re-install windows. Anyway, I have updated all the drivers and gotten the LAN connection back, which was gone. I also updated the Wireless card drivers and got the management of WiFi back on the laptop. My problem is that when I go to search for signals, Nothing comes up and I know there is at least 1 in the house. I then go to the Wireless management windows and click to enable WiFi, but I get a get a pop-up that says I need to turn the WiFi radio switch on, or press Fn-F2. There is no switch, and Fn-F2 doesn't work. I know that the Fn button works becuase I can activate Scroll lock that way. I thought maybe the Chipset or Bios needed updating. Tried that and get the same results. This is the last piece to the puzzle. Does anyone have any ideas or have run into this issue before? Is there a cmd script I can run?

Thanks for your help.

Tatertot45
CRCP
A+, Network+
CCNA
MCP

That's a pretty old laptop, anyway to test the wifi card in another laptop, or swap one into this unit? What about trying a linux livecd to see if you can get wireless working to rule out hardware?

Is the Wireless Adapter enabled in BIOS? Bottom entry in BIOS Setup...

If the wirless in the house is Wireless N (N clients only on router) and the adapter is wireless B or G, you won't see that signal. Check the router settings just to be sure.

Have you run the chipset driver install after downloading from Dell?

Thanks for the great ideas.

Goombawaho- I know that there are some neighboring signals that I should see. my daughter has the same laptop and she is fine.

rclark250- I'm quite ready to try that yet, but close.

Freestone- Never thought to check that. That is first on the list. Great work.

I'm going to take these ideas and see if I can get it fixed. I'll report back later. Thanks again.

Tatertot45
CRCP
A+, Network+
CCNA
MCP

OK, I couldn't wait that long. Just took a look at Freestone's recommendation and found the issue. Not only was the Wireless turned off in the BIOS, but it was also set so that nothing could turn it on. It took me an extra couple of minutes to find that last setting, but it worked like a charm.

What I do with these older laptops is fix them up on the cheap, and then give them, no charge, to kids who need them but their familes can't afford a computer. Or i this case, I fix them for free for school aged kids. This D610 will go to good use now for my daughters friend.

Thanks again!

Tatertot45
CRCP
A+, Network+
CCNA
MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back