Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wierd problem. computer has 1 cpu, windows shows 2 (not dual core)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloose

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2006
US
I have a server with one processor installed. it has a board capible of runing 2 CPU's but only one is installed. I noticed the computer is horrably slow, slower than usual, it always has been. now the thing is in windows if I open the task manager the Affinity is checked on cpu0 and cpu1. How can this be? is this why the computers slow? does windows think theres 2 cpu's installed when in fact there is only 1? If this is my problem how do i solve it? the processor thats installed is an older Intel Xenon 2.4ghz and im pretty sure dual core wasent even close to coming out on the market when this thing was made... I would appriciate some help with this please.

-Adam

Its probably a Hyper-Thread capable CPU, thats why you see 2 CPUs in task manager. This should in no way be slowing your server down. If you really dont like the 2 CPUs in task manager you can turn off hyper-treading in bios but i wouldnt. Is task manager showing your cpu running really high? if it is what process is consuming all the cpu cycles?

RoadKi11

well it looks healthy, the computer runs slow, but i never see the CPU usage on anything go over 50% ever. This server has Exchange installed. every time I do anything it takes forever. even when the computer reboots it takes about 20 minutes... which I dont think is normal, being i have another server here that fully reboots within 20 seconds.

I do have another delema which i will start another thread for.

Hi
Pls check the amount of memory u have in your server.
As you have pointed out that the exchnage server is running on this box then memory might be issue as exchange takes a lot of memory resources...
Make sure you do not put exchange database in the same partition as your system partition.
Also move ur exchnage transaction files to seprate hard drive then your exchange databse.
Check the size of your exchnage database. if the size is too big i suggest you to put a new storage group to divide your mail box stores.

I can confirm that xeons present as two processors due to their hyperthreading technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back