Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wierd Power Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have a Merlin Legend upgraded to Magix 3.0. I have 1 Basic Control Unit with a processor, 2 ETR016's, 1 016 w/Ring Gen., 1 008MLX, and 1 800 GS/LS ID in it. There is an expansion unit with 2 800 GS/LS ID's, and a 6 Port Merlin Messaging.
My problem is that the other day, I added two more extensions. Once I did this, my CSR's started calling me saying that their phones were dropping calls. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the extensions were actually loosing power! Led's went dead, call dropped, and the phone came back on. This usually was happening when there was a lot of ringing going on in the system.
After talking with someone, it was determined that I had the old style (with the gray jack above the power switch) power supply driving my control unit, with a newer power supply in the expansion. I went to switch them around, and I lost the basic control unit. I got a new one mounted, swapped the power supplies, and although everything works, I still had the issue.
As a workaround, I set the personal lines on each extension to delayed ring. I use calling groups, so this is somewhat acceptable.
Has anyone seen anything like this before? If it's an 016ETR, it should be able to drive 16 phones ringing all at once, right? I mean, I don't even have all of them full - 10 on one card 12 on the other.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

This is just a cut and paste, but I thought this might help you out. From the way you are describing your situation, you upgraded a legend to a magix using the plastic carrier.

When upgrading the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System to the MERLIN MAGIX® Integrated System, you must determine if the unit loads provided by the current power supply can support any new modules you may be adding to the system. A unit load is a measure of power used to determine the electrical load that a component draws from a carrier’s power supply.

Around the time when the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System R3.1 was introduced the 391A3 power supply was delivered. New MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System purchases prior to Release 3.1 were delivered to the field with power supplies that will not support the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System Release 7 nor any releases of the MERLIN MAGIX® Integrated System. November of 1994 we started to deliver the 391A3 Power Supply. If a customer had the MERLIN® II and upgraded to the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System, or if our customer had the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System R1 through and including R3 and upgraded to the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System R4, R5, or R6 the upgrade did not include a new power supply.

Following are the maximum 48vDC unit loads for each of the MERLIN LEGEND® Communications System power supplies:
391C1 & 491D1 = 96 Unit Loads
391A3 = 75 Unit Loads
391A1 & 319A2 = 54 Unit Loads

Following are distinguishing characteristics of each power supply. This will help you to identify which power supply a customer currently has installed:

The 391A1 and 319A2 Power Supply's power switch toggles up and down, and has a gray jack between the power switch and the power "LED.”

The 391A3 Power Supply does not have a gray jack between the power switch and the power "LED,” but the power switch still toggles up and down.

The 391C1 Power Supply also does not have a gray jack between the power switch and the power "LED,” but the power switch toggles left to right.

Thanks for the reply! Where did you cut and paste from? I have the 391A3 in the basic control unit, so I have 75 unit loads to go with. Where are the cards' unit loads described?

justin

their is a limit to the 016 etr ringing ,but i can't recall i believe its 6 at one time,anyone else

The info is in the POCKET REFERENCE MANUAL, which changes with every release. (But some of the stuff is the same.)

The same info and more is covered in the R6.0 Installation manual and R6.1 System Planning Guide manual. These can be downloaded from the Avaya site in PDF.

Hope this helps!
....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back