Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wierd Network Problem 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnemyGateIsDown

Technical User
Oct 3, 2002
GB
Hi Guys,

Im not sure if I should be posting this here but none of the forums fitted exactly so this seemed closest :)

I have a Belkin Wireless ADSL Router which has attached to it

1 laptop (Wirelessly)
1 PC (Wired)
1 Wireless Access Point (Playstation 2)

This setup has worked faultlessly for the last year or so, however now I am getting a problem.

The wired PC is getting the

"Network Cable Unplugged"

message popping up every 10 or 20 seconds (it varies).. It seemed to coincide with me getting a virus on that machine which I removed with AVG. Since then I have also rebuilt the pc and I still get the problem so I am moving away from that theory although I only rebuild the system partition so i suppose a virus could reside on one of the data partitions...

If I wire the laptop into router the problem doesnt occur... so that seems to rule out a hardware problem with the router..

If I run a broadband speed test on the PC it is showing as much slower than it should.

If I run the same speed test on the laptop I get the correct speed (1MB)

I have tried connecting the PC via the on board network card (it was previously plugged into a 3rd party NIC) but this makes no difference..

I am pulling my hair out on this one as I cant seem to get to the bottom of it..

Does anyone have any ideas as to what else might be causing the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and save the PC floating gracefully through the window :)

Cheers,

Chris

Further Info...

NAT is definitly being used .. each of the devices on the network gets an address in the range 192.168.2.X assigned using DHCP by the router...

The only exception to that is the PS2 as I configured that with a static IP so that I could making it a DMZ on the router to avoid ports used by games from being blocked..

Chris

The possible virus is easily resolved - surely?

The occasions I've seen network cable unplugged, when it wasn't are:-

- ISA NIC (XP didn't like)
- NIC faulty (though windows reports it ok)
- patch or switch/router port not functioning
- network cable knackered

The occasions I've seen network cable unplugged, when it wasn't are:-

- ISA NIC (XP didn't like)
- NIC faulty (though windows reports it ok)
- patch or switch/router port not functioning
- network cable knackered
Ditto.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

I agree with both of you however barring the router being duff (which I have tested by wiring my laptop to it without the problem occurring) I have swapped all the other components out.

Two different NIC's tried (On Board and 3rd Party)

Two different Patch cables tried

Have also rebuilt the server.. and virus checked the box many many times :) with 2 different virus checkers (Norton and AVG) to boot

The 3rd party NIC is PCI and if XP had a problem with it i would probably have found out a long time ago as i have been using it for ages..

I am at a bit of a loss. As you guys say .. there is a finite number of reasons for the "Network Cable Unplugged" error should occur which was why I am clutching at straws with my dubious undetected virus theory :)

I suppose I could try and get a cheap duplicate router off of ebay but I am dubious as to whether this is the problem...

But thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate the extra thinking caps :)

Chris

Further thought..

I supose it could be a mobo problem???? I'll be pissed off if it is because its not very old.

C.

Is the onboard NIC enabled in BIOS? I think it's been mentioned a few times but I'll repeat it again. NIC's are relatively cheap, buy a new NIC and toss it in there. It's cheaper/quicker than a MB replacement by far.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Yep.. its enabled and it works with full connectivity most of the time it just pops up this "Network Cable Unplugged" error periodically.. and when it does the nw lights go out..I get the network cable unplugged message which appears for a second or so and then normal connectivity is resumed.. this happens sometimes a couple of times a minute but then it may not do it again for 15 minutes... its bizarre.. its like a loose connection somewhere but I have swapped out and "waggled" the network cables to see if i can produce the problem and also tried the different nw cards in case one of them had a faulty connection but to no avail..

I will pick up a network card just to rule it out but I am sceptical as I get the same problem for the onboard and my other 3rd party nw card..

If that doesn't help, remove networking from windows components, reboot, and add it again. that will install tpc/ip again.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update if anyone is still monitoring this thread..

It turned out to be the router.. I had a Belkin F5D7630-4A which had been working fine for about 3 years.. it looks like it finally gave up the ghost.. I swapped it out for the new version of the same and as if by magic the problem disappeared..even better as I work from home I managed to get the company to pay for it :)

Hey Ho

Thanks guys for all your input with this.. it has been a most frustrating problem..

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back