Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wierd keyboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggie

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
I am helping trying to repair a friend's computer (a Dell).
I unistalled a bunch of spyware/adware stuff and when I rebooted it the keyboard would no longer work in windows.
When start my computer and get to the login screen, the keyboard won't let me type my password. The screen flickers and I hear a quiet beep, when I try to type. All keys have the same response (cntrl, etc.) they just beep. Keyboard lights are not on either. Keyboard only works in BIOS setup screen. Admin has no password so I can get into it that way in Safe Mode but keyboard still doesn't work. Tried removing the keyboard driver but it won't let me. System Restore didn't work either.
Note: I have seen two other reports on the web that seem to describe the same symptoms, but not solution.
Mark

Can you plug in a different keyboard?
Does that work
Otherwise you will need a reinstall with dells little repair cd

New Keyboard does the same thing.
Owners came over tonight and their 11yo daughter figured out how to get by the problem.
Hold the Enter key down until it stops beeping and then you can log on.

Mark

Correction/More Info:
What you hold down it the Shift key and once you have held it down long enough you get what sounds like an arcade sound. Problem then does not recur until you reboot.

Also I noted that the PC does not have the PC temporarily puts up moonrise landscape just after the windows startup screen and before the login screen - don't know if that is a clue as to something that could have gotten loaded that is associated with this problem.

I would not have to do a complete reload but that is a option I plan on soon.

Mark

You will feel like a complete idiot, as I did, when the problem is the Windows Feature "Sticky Keys."

Control Panel > Accessibility Options > then just uncheck the 'Sticky Keys' box and you are done.

Thanks, that was it!

One other trick I had to find was that under the accessibility general tab there is a box you have to check to also make he change take effect on the logon screen

Also, it appears that there is some annoying windows "feature" that if you hold down a key too long it turns this feature on for you. I suspect that it what may have happened to them. Well next time I'll know.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back