Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wierd Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

HessA

MIS
Mar 17, 2005
US
I have an issue when a meeting request is sent to one person the sender gets a bounce from an account one of the reciepients used to have access to. But the machine that user had at the time is gone. So I can't use that outlook clilent to remove the delegate status. So I can't stop a meeting request from being sent to this non existant user if the user that used to have access to her mailbox is copied. Has anybody experienced this before?

Thanks,

Aaron

Without delving into gnarly mailbox permissions, it's easy to remove delegate access to a mailbox. Give yourself "Full Access" to the mailbox, configure an Outlook profile on your own machine pointing to the mailbox, log in as yourself and change it there. The courteous thing is to notify the user first, and remove your access after.

If the user account has been deleted, you have an orphaned mailbox waiting to be purged (30 days, by default). Obviously then, you can't log onto the mailbox and change things. In the Exchange System Manager, go to the appropriate mailbox info store, and look for the mailbox. It should have a red cross next to it. Right-click on it and select "purge". After it's had a chance to replicate, there should be no further problems, if I've understood what you're trying to get at here.

The account was deleted well over two years ago and is purged. The account was in 5.5 and We're running Exchange 2003 Enterprise now. I don't believe that user was ever migrated even. So I do believe something was orphaned some where along th eline is there anyway to locate it and remove it still? I'm grasping at straws at this point lol.

Thanks,

Aaron

Oh dear! If I remember rightly, there's an AD clean-up tool for removing duplicate entries. I can't be bothered looking for it, but I think it's one of the support tools on the Win2K CD. I assume it'd be on a Win2K3 CD too. If you check out the support stuff for domain migration, it should one of those tools.

Thanks Billie I will do the leg work your post at least gives me a starting point.

Actually, I found the tool today when doing something else on my Exchange server. In the Exchange 2003 program group in the Start Menu, in the Deployment folder, you'll find the Active Directory Account Cleanup Wizard. I certainly suggest giving it a go.

I'll give that a whirl right now. If it fixes it I will post just so you know if it worked.

Billie thanks for the followup the clean up tool didn't work though. It still wanted to be pointed to an account and since the account by everything I can find does not exist. Thanks though.

Aaron

The recipient that used to have delegate access. In their Outlook is there anything in the delegates tab?

If not, check their AD account for any remnants of the relevant user.

There's something else to check too but I can't think what it is.

That user's machine is long since been trashed. I will recheck the user that does exist for anything specifying any delegation. I did check the user's computer that is still with me. But found nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back