Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WIC-1B S/T compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

eurobadger

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
GB
All

Does anyone know of any compatibility problems with ISDN cards in 2851 routers?

I have a 2851 running advanced IP services IOS version 12.4.5b. ISDN is a backup to ADSL.

Cisco tell us the ISDN process is causing memory leaks, & I want to change the WIC-1B S/T card. The current card is stamped Version 3. I swapped it for a card without a version number stamped on it (presumably Version 1) and it would not initialise. I assume this is a bad card, but it may be a conflictbetween router hardware/card/IOS.

I know that there is range of later IOS available, latest is 12.4.10, but the end user organisation has tested to their satisfaction that the current IOS and configuration works and will not upgrade without a lengthy testing process.

Thanks
EB

That wic probably same issue with new ISR routers that T1 cards have. The part number for the wic should be WIC-1B-S/T-V3....that older one not marked is probably just a WIC-1B-S/T. The old t1 cards WIC-1DSU-T1 will not work either you have to have a WIC-1DSU-T1-V2. With the wic in you can verify by doing a show diag and that slot will read as unknown card type.

Hi Joamon

Thanks for the reply

Eventually I found this lot:

But this one is a compatibility list for the 2800 series:

It lists only the V3 card as being used in a 2800. The various other documents seem to say that the WIC-1B-S/T and WIC-1B-S/T-V3 are identical, but the implication is that this is not quite true.

So I am going to get a V3...

Thanks again

Guess they will have to live with the problem then. How do they expect you to test it without testing it. The newer IOS is not going to crash them and worst case makes no improvement to the problem. What did Cisco recommend to fix the problem?

Hi Joamon

Cisco are still working the call from the original crash data and 2-hourly updates. The issue is the the router reboots spontaneously.

Cisco's TAC response is that it is a memory leak from the ISDN process. The ISDN card is idle unless the ADSL fails, so the process should be idle too, unless the ADSL is bouncing, or someone is playing with the box.

I am responsible for the hardware break & fix, not management of the router. In the absence of a final TAC diagnosis/fix (which I expect will be an IOS upgrade)the end user company and management organisation has insisted we change the WIC card. I don't expect this to be a fix, it's just that it showed up the compatibility problem.

EB

Cisco TAC 1st step fix process is usually upgrade to latest release and see if problem persists. Then a hardware change if it does not. If the hardware change does not improve this will they allow an IOS upgrade then?

I guess it all depends on what conclusion TAC, the client & the management company reach.

As ever, I will do as I am told :)

EB

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
- Confucius (551 BC - 479)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back