Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why XML? Why not databases? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmywages

Programmer
Dec 12, 2002
US
Hello everybody.

I'm new to XML and to be honest I haven't done much in XML other than the basic "your first XML document" kind of stuff. But as I was learning more and more about XML, it seemed to me to be redundant and even useless.

From what I read on the internet, it seems that XML is basically a text file that contained records. Well, why use XML? Why not just use databases if you want records of data!?!? I've used databases in collaboration with many HTML and Flash pages and it's worked great. It keeps the data seperate from the design AND it is searchable, query-able, etc. (is XML searchable and query-able? I don't know, please inform me).

Anyway, I just don't see the advantage of XML from a functional point of view. What can it do that databases can't? What is the fundamental difference of the two? Please enlighten me.

Thank you very much,

~jimmy.

Nick:

You said above: "The content is entered and stored into the database, which then publishes it's entire contents to a single xml file. "
Is there a database program which generates the XML code for a database, without someone have to worry about writing all the tags ?
For example, I use Visual FoxPro 6.0 to create a table/database of my inventory (PRODUCTS.DBF). Is it possible to automatically generate the XML file (PRODUCTS.XML) which contains my inventory itens ?

Michel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back