Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why would an MDB suddenly become read-only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack10

Programmer
Feb 3, 2010
US
My co-worker has an access mdb that suddenly has become read-only.
Any ideas how this can happen. It seems that many people have this issue but nobody seems to understand why.

Can you provide any information about the file or environment or whatever? Your question is a bit like "my co-worker has a car but he can't go any where in it". We don't know if he/she lost the keys, has a valid drivers license, the tires are flat, can't afford gas, ...

What have you done so far to troubleshoot?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I wish I had more info, but he said it became read only. I have googled this and found that it happens alot. I have been unable to find out why.

More info needed.
e.g.
Is it on a shared drive?
Can he copy it? If so, is the copy also read-only?
Is it at the root level of his C: drive?

[sarcasm]Is it Thursday?[/sarcasm]

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Yes, the database is on a shared drive
He has a back up which is unaffected.
It is not at the root level of "C

Since it is on a shared drive:
-can he or any other user create and delete a text file in the folder?
-is there an LDB file in the folder?
-when everyone exits the application, does the LDB file get deleted?
-is anyone opening the file exclusively?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

You mean you get an error that it is read only or the file attribute?

A message box that won't let you in can mean that a user with Read only permission to the folder has opened the file before a person with change permission or vice versa... In one case the file is exclusively locked in the other the user can't modify the LDB to create Access 'locks'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back