Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why would a server send a NetBIOS name query for ..<00>

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnE66

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
GB
I have a server that is sending out repeated NetBIOS name queries for .. as the server name in the type <00> which is for a workstation/redirector.

The server name does not contain the dots and we do not know of any service that should be being called with that name.

Any ideas?

From Wireshark we have about six requests a second.

<10.1.1.1> <10.1.255.255> NBNS Name query NB ..<00>

Many thanks

Standard old Scholl LMB traffic. The windows box is performing NetBIOS browse master calls.

Google MaintainServerList you should find articles on how to disable this behavior (Assuming you are using DNS for name resolution, and if you are not you should be)

Thanks, but I am not sure that is the issue here. Why would that one server out of a hundred or so we have, be sending out this name query multiple time a second?

Also, why would the computer name it is trying to query be ".."?

I cannot see any reference to that name being used, and the frequency it talks about is in minutes rather than fractions of a second.

Sorry should have read your posy more carefully (I have a newborn). I guess it would be a good idea to perfom a manual Virus/Spyware scan.

All the best with the newborn....mine are 18 and 19 (years) and still distracting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back