Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't NAME & NUMBER caller id both show on phone display at once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCM50

Technical User
Jul 21, 2005
US
Hello-

I'm an office end-user with a new 15 extension BCM50 with digital PRI lines - so full caller id info is present. I can see our system is getting both NAME and NUMBER from our phone vendor. My users complain that incoming calls show caller id NAME only on the handset display, and they must press "more" softkey button on the T7316e digitial handset to display the phone number. Why? I have confirmed no unusual settings via BCM Element Manager. What am I missing - why wouldn't the NAME and NUMBER both show at once, like they do on normal residential phones?

Having read the BCM PDF manuals, I see there are configurations that have caller id settings like "show number 1st" or "show name 1st" - but these options don't seem available to me, maybe because PRI extension moduals override this? I also see many Function Button handset settings (show static time, show call log, etc) some of us have enabled - does this matter to 2-line caller ID display?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

The phones are a "single line display" since the time and date are reserved for the first line. There isn't any way that I'm aware of to display both name and number simultaneously - might work on an i2004, but haven't run into an instance where I could try it.

The options are available to you in the individual station programming.

Hello Biv343 and AlquestTech-

I'm disapointed that a new 2005 era business grade phone can not display NAME and NUMBER at once - I don't need a clock on my phone display! I have toggled that "static time" setting on/off to free up the space - but it made no difference.

I looked for "individual station programming" everywhere in BCM Element Manager but could not match that setting up - maybe that is syntax from another BCM 200 or 400 something?

Are all Nortel phones this limited? There must be a reason? Am I the only one who wants to see NAME and NUMBER of callers, without pushing buttons, while at the office?

Thanks.

Joe

I'm sorry, I assumed that sice the settings were available in both Norstars and the BCM 200/400 they should be on the 50 too, perhaps I'm wrong
But if it helps, it is under individual station programming> Telco Features (the last heading)

Also, name may not be shipped on the PRI from the CO. At least not in the called ID format. The only names that I ever get across PRI's come from networked BCMs/KSU's. Then I get System name and station name.

When calling outside only the OLI shows up.
Likewise calls in only ever get number, never name.

I am unsin NI format. (DMS)

All depends on what location you are in. Most CO's around here are not equipped to give name over PRI, except for a few new ones. Good ol' SBC hasn't upgraded their CO's for that feature yet.

I think this is a holdover from the old Norstar days, back before CLID was common, and CLID with Name was "never going to happen". It's available on the PBX platforms, so it's probably a matter of time before it gets rolled into the BCM/Norstar platform.

BCM50 is getting both Name and number he can toggle between the 2. He would just like to see both on the display at the same time. I've never really thought about it but I would like it also. But like stated ealier I don't think it is offered on these systems.

I thought you could change the phone to display what you wanted under telco features.

Marshall

I have used this to display names instead of CLIP on some occassions for customers wanting to identify certain target lines.

You can change whether you want to see name first, number first, or line number (such as line 61).

The original poster wants to see both at the same time.

I can not see this changing in the future unless they make the display bigger. You can not even have a name longer than 7 characters never mind name and number on incoming calls.

Marshall

Thanks for the replies. I called my Seattle phone company, and shared these PRI and CLID comments with the tech there. He was helpful and offered to try 3 other PRI protocol settings to see if this would change the sequence of CLID display. Bottom line, it did not.

He had 4 to pick from:

No Display
Name Display
Number Display
Nortel PBX display (and other major phone PBX companies too)

Strangely as he said, he uses "No Display" for most circuits like ours - as it offers the most widely accepted PRI CLID caller info at the client end. We tried the other three settings and they just messed up our "incoming calls" completely, no ring. So we are back to the usual setting, and the phones, well I guess, just don't show NAME and NUMBER at once.

Thanks!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back