Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't my subform update work??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractorvix

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
GB
I have 4 tables set up
Sales:
SaleID
YearID
MonthID
ProdID
SaleValue

Year:
YearID
Year

Month:
MOnthID
LongMonth
ShortMonth

Prod:
ProdID
ProdName

and have a subform set up with it's source as:
SELECT [tbl-Year].Year, [tbl-Month].shortMth, [tbl-Sales].SaleValue, [tbl-Sales].ProdID, [tbl-Month].MthID FROM [tbl-Year] RIGHT JOIN ([tbl-Month] RIGHT JOIN [tbl-Sales] ON [tbl-Month].MthID=[tbl-Sales].MonthID) ON [tbl-Year].YearID=[tbl-Sales].YearID;

I want to update the Sales table using the subform, which works great for the Year, ProdID and SaleValue, but for some reason it's not updating the MonthID field. I suspect it's something to do with me only having 2 fields for the majority of the tables and 3 for the Month. I've set up relationships etc but it just doesn't seem to be working!

any help please?

Vicky

Unless there is a speed issue, that seems overly complicated.
A table for months and years?
You should have a single value in Sales:
"SalesDate" and it should be a date.
You then can use formatting in your queries, forms and reports to show the month and year.
1/1/2008

Format(dtmSales, "mmm"): Jan
Format(dtmSales, "mmmm"): January
Format(dtmSales, "yyyy"): 2008
Format(dtmSales, "yy"): 08

Your argument is probably that you never need a day. That is OK you never show it or require a user to enter a day. Normally this is done with a combination of comboboxes and the use of a dateserial function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back