Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't my gradient print? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

imnotcourtney

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
Hi all-
MAC Pro 10.5.8 using Illustrator CS4. Created a 8.5 X 14 brochure using a ragged outline filled with bw gradient. The gradient will not print from Illustrator, nor from a PDF imported into InDesign, nor from Adobe Acrobat, though I can clearly see it in all cases. The only way it will print is if I open the PDF in Photoshop, flatten and save as a jpeg and print from inDesign.

Do I need to worry about the outsource printer having issues with the document? Is there a way I can trouble shoot to determine wherein the problem lies?

Many thanks in advance.

...what type of desktop printer are you printing to? I suspect it isn't using a postscript rip which is what your print provider will use, either that or the PDF print engine (APPE). Your print provider will unlikely have an issue with your gradient not printing, it can be more an issue with gradient banding (which is a whole different matter)...

...I suspect the problem is either your own print device/setup not dealing with gradients very well...

...as a test, try printing from illustrator with "compatible gradient mesh printing" turned on in the print settings...

andrew

============
============

Apepp-
It's a Ricoh 3260C. Thanks for pointing me to the "compatible gradient mesh printing". We have gradient! Now I can breathe while uploading the file to the printer. Many thanks.

...OK!

...just to also inform the "compatible gradient mesh printing" option converts your gradients to bitmap images in the print stream...

...if you have trouble from PDF in acrobat, then turn on "print as image" in the print settings of acrobat (found in the advanced options)...

...if you need to print from indesign and have trouble with artwork on your printer you can try the same thing "print as bitmap" (advanced options in indesign)...

...you may also want to see if there is an updated printer driver available:

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back