Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't my FastEthernet interface show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralDzur

Technical User
Jan 10, 2005
US

I have a Cisco 2600 (2 actually). One is currently running our network, and the other is just laying around doing nothing, so I decided to brush up on my IOS skills (what little I have) and mess around with it. My problem is that, for some reason, the only interface I can get to show up is the Ethernet 1/0,or int e1/0. The other jack (over by the console port) - the FastEthernet 0/0, will not appear in the router.

I plug a cable into it, and it lights up and the "Full Duplex" light turns on, but the router doesn't seem to think the port exists. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing before?

You probably don't have the right IOS for that particular card , otherwords the IOS you are using does not support that particular FE interface . Of course it could be a hardware problem . Is it on a individual card ???

No, it's not on an expansion card if that's what you mean. It appears to be a built-in fastethernet port, used for connecting to the LAN, if i'm not mistaken.

Hello there, just paste in the following:

sh ver
sh run (just the part with the interfaces)
sh int fa0/0

From this info we should be able to figure out what we may be missing in there.
Also, what is a the other end of the Fast Ethernet link? Cheers...

Router#show ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-IS-M), Version 12.0(7)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 04-Jul-03 07:21 by dchih
Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80C52AFC

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 12 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-is-mz.120-7.T3.bin"

cisco 2600 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x100) with 26624K/6144K bytes of memory
Processor board ID JAD06510J0A (1029707527)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2142
-------------------------------------
sh run
!
interface Ethernet1/0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
shutdown
!
------------------------------
Router#show int fa0/0
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

quick note - the % invalid input detected at... was originally under the letter "f"...apparently the copy/paste didn't work out perfectly

Do "show int" and see what all comes up. It is wierd that your sh ver only shows 1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s).

You're saying you have both and ethernet and a fastethernet built in the same 2600? If you've installed an ethernet in the NM slot you're in an unsupported configuration and the fastethernet port won't be recognized.

No no no....ok, the built-in fast-ethernet port (sitting right beside the built-in console port) is not being detected. There is 1 card installed, and it is a regular ethernet interface card. It shows up just fine - the built-in port does not.

The router is a Cisco 2620XM

It's a bad 2620XM. I recently purchased 75 of them and four of them were bad and they had this same problem. If you have SmartNET, replace the router. If you don't, is it still under warranty? If not, you might be out of luck. :-(

Regards,
John

unfortunately no, it's not under warranty anymore...i suspected it might be a bad port, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for your help guys :)

I had something similar ages ago and what had happened is one of our 'younger guys' managed to upload an IOS image for a 2610/2611 to a 2620/2621 (can't remember which it was ages ago). The router quite happily accepted the image and upon a reload the FastEthernet interface wasn't recognised anymore. I had to Xmodem the correct image to the router (or at least the smallest image to get the FastEthernet port active again).

Andy

Heh heh....ADB100, I did that once! It was just after the 2620s came out and I wasn't very familiar with them. I accidentally loaded a 2610/11 image and had rather poor results. :)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back