Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why won't my executables work?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CmndrTalonn

Programmer
Jul 7, 2000
US
geocities.com
This is the sort of error message I get EVERY TIME I try to run my C++ executables:<br><br>hjones@blewett:~&gt; ./seisavg<br>ld.so.1: ./seisavg: fatal: libstdc++.so.2.9.0: open failed: No such file or directory<br>Killed<br><br>The files exist, and I have all permissions... what in the world is this? <p>Heather "Commander Talonn" Jon<br><a href=mailto:jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu>jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu</a><br><a href= & Starfire Scifi/Fantasy/Anime</a><br>Sweet art, sweet writing, sweet site... brought to you by a sweet host. View Heather's intense scifi writing at

Hey could U run a <br>ldd ./seisavg <br>and see the output....<br>if libstdc++.so.2.9.0 is a new file created by U then U would have to place it in /lib or /usr/lib<br><br>adios<br>amit

I never had anything to do with a libstdc++.so.2.9.0 file... I don't even know if it exists.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll search for it, but I have no idea why it pops up in an error message.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have no references at all to it, or anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'll try what you said, but is there anything else? <p>Heather<br><a href=mailto:jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu>jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu</a><br><a href= & Starfire Scifi/Fantasy/Anime</a><br>Sweet art, sweet writing, sweet site... brought to you by a sweet host. View Heather's intense scifi writing at

Just one more thing..if U have compiled ur executables on another machine and U are running them on another..watch out all UNIxes are not totally compatible.If so run ldd on both machines... U will find that ur binary works fine in the source machine.<br><br>Adios<br>amit<br><A HREF="mailto:crazy_indian@mailcity.com">crazy_indian@mailcity.com</A><br>

well, I've been running the program on the same machine the whole time.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is what I get when I run the ldd thingy...<br><br><br>hjones@rainier:~&gt; ldd ./seisavg <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;libstdc++.so.2.9.0 =&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(file not found)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;libm.so.1 =&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/lib/libm.so.1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;libc.so.1 =&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/lib/libc.so.1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;libdl.so.1 =&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/lib/libdl.so.1 <p>Heather<br><a href=mailto:jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu>jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu</a><br><a href= & Starfire Scifi/Fantasy/Anime</a><br>Sweet art, sweet writing, sweet site... brought to you by a sweet host. View Heather's intense scifi writing at

Well, there's no problem now.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check the helpful tip I posted... it turns out the missing libstdc++ thingy is just a bug common to gnu software... I included a place to download it.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was successful for me, now my proggies all compile.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks for your help, anyway. <p>Heather<br><a href=mailto:jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu>jones_h@ligo-wa.caltech.edu</a><br><a href= & Starfire Scifi/Fantasy/Anime</a><br>Sweet art, sweet writing, sweet site... brought to you by a sweet host. View Heather's intense scifi writing at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back