Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Use Delphi

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodyhh

MIS
Jun 13, 2001
US
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Delphi, but not new to programming.
I've been developing in MS Access for a few years now and I am just about sick of it.
I did about 8 months of intense training in C++, but other aspects of my business pulled me away from it.
I've seen a few commercially created apps that were created with Delphi which were really solid, fast and had little or no installation issues.
I miss developing and I need to get back into it. I don't want to go down the Microsoft development road again so I'm thinking about either continuing my training in C++ and/or training in Delphi.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any past experiences you could relate?

Thank you,
Moodyhh

You may not know this but Delphi is going to be releasing in December their latest version of Delphi - Delphi.NET

That is the direction that Borland is going - Support Microsoft, but with better tools as in C# and now Delphi.NET

Delphi is a great product that I have been using since Version 1. It produces great code and if you have job that will allow you to use it instead of MS VB.NET or C#.NET than great.

Mark

I would skip out on the C++.

If you want a more mainstream language, use C# (borland or microsoft).

For my money, Delphi is still the easist, fastest, best way to code. The only problem is that not enough companies use it, so there are not as many jobs available.

Brian
"There are 2 kinds of people in the world, those that divide people into two groups and those that don't. I belong to the second group." - tag line I stole

Hello Moodyh,

Primarily, I'm a game programmer using C++ Builder to develop my game programs. I first heard of Delphi at the company that I work for. They use it for maintaining their databases - meidcal records. For a year I thought that Delphi was simply another Database program with a scripting language thrown in to customize certain features.
This belief was further assisted by the many books on the topic of Delphi stating it to be the best database programming language available. This was several years ago.
I have since learned that Delphi is Borlands implementation of the Pascal language. It's main competitor is Microsofts Visual Basic since they both are aimed at programmers learning how to program.
I prefer Delphi to VB for several reasons. Out of the box, Delphi comes with many components for tasks that you'll either have to purchase using VB or searh the Web for. It compiles faster than VB. It supports methods in its TYPE declarations, whereas VB only supports data members, thus ensuring a truly OOP method of programming.
Delphi user base is much smaller than VB, which I feel is a plus, because if you ask for help, it is more reliable since the programmers have a 80% chance of knowing what type of help you're asking for, and how to solve it.
If you have the time to relearn another language, Delphi is a good choice. BTW, since you mention that you're a C++ programmer, check out C++ Builder from Borland. It uses the same Interface as Delphi, which makes the only difference is that it uses C++ instead of Pascal.

Good Luck in programming,
Bsisko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back