Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why use ASP? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cainemart

Programmer
Nov 28, 2001
US
I need some input.... The company I work for uses Access 97, an AS400 mainframe, and we have a few things using a SQL server...We have an MIS Dept that takes care of the "big" stuff. I work in the accounting dept and I use Access and VBA to handle all our Db needs... It is slow, and very limiting! They won't let me use SQL Server and VB so I am kinda stuck...In school I had a class on ASP and really liked it and want to see if they will allow me to do a few things with ASP. My question is if they ask me why I should be allowed to use ASP, what should my response be? Performance wise? My tables can be on the AS400 or I'm still stuck with Access for db stuff...I want to eventually work my way into a web based project for the company.

Appreciate it!
Caine

If your company is asking you why you should be allowed to use ASP what they really are asking is how will the company benefit.

Show them how it will improve your efficiency, how it will help others in the company, how it will save them money or make them money. Show them what problems you are having now and how ASP will solve them. Database performance will not improve if you are still required to use MS Access. If a lot of people start using the web site, it may even go down.

Even if you continue to use MS Access and VBA, your data should not be kept in MS Access. You need to convince them to allow you to store the data in SQL Server and link the tables into MS Access. You can find articles all over the web explaining the limitations of MS Access and how easily the data can get corrupted. You can find many articles with a simple google search.

Put on your salesman hat and sell the idea if it is something you really believe in and want to do.

I'm not sure about AS400. I have never worked with this.

Thanks,

Gabe

Thanks for your reply... I agree about Access but they only think about money which means no SQL Server for me...

Caine

Hi,

ASP allows the user to browse a website faster. I am in the final stages of completing a site which is heavily based on ASP. The asp means that the server does any of the configeration to the page before it leaves to goto the Client. This allows a faster and more enjoyable browsing experience, whilst allowing yourself to cut out large amounts of time spent editing pages.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

James

Access is also not good for over 10 or so people. I had a link with the downside of access but can't find it right now. If I do I'll post it for you. Rob
Just my $.02.

I've gotta say MySQL would be a great db for your purposes. Pretty much free, seems to run really nicely on Windows platforms and I've have some big success with MySQL and ASP working together. While I'm at it, I've also gotta recommend MySQL Front if you're setting up a MySQL db. It's an awesome little free program for windows that gives a great GUI front end for the db!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back