Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why there is no response when I try to run my ASP scripts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the brief description of the problem you have described, the first thing that comes to my mind is the following (hope this helps):
Active Server Pages cannot be viewed in a web browser by typing in the file address in the browser as c:\inetpub\ like you can with an HTML file as c:\inetpub\ because an asp page MUST be processed and rendered by the WEB SERVER!
SO......In order to view or test your asp page, you must view the page in your browser as it is served or processed by the web server by typing into the browser address a URL which calls upon your web server such as your local web server host which was hopefully included in your installation of Windows 2000 Pro.
To do this, you call your local web host as follows:
This refers to a default.asp file which is residing on the web root which located at c:\inetpub\ if your default web site has the default documents set to default.htm, followed by default.asp in that order, the server will first serve the default.htm file if it is found at that location, if it is not present, then it will next look to see if default.asp is located there. If it is, then that is the document that will be served by the server if you simply refer to the URL as You can set the default documents and the order to serve them in your Internet Service Manager.
Hope this helps and solves your problem.

Thanks,
I tried, but it still not work.
I am testing asp codes on anoter computer, it's not
connected to any network, it's alone.
I guess that the IE configuration might have some problems.

Ok, are you getting a blank page, a 404 not found, or a server not found error?

If your getting server not found try: If your getting file not found, than your file is not being referenced correctly, this should not occur, likely you will get a server not found error first
blank page: the script is likely being processed, but no output is being sent to the browser. try a simple example like
Code:
<%
Option Explicit
%>
<html>
<body>
The html is showing up<br>
<%=&quot;The ASP is showing up&quot;%>
</body>
</html>

Please post any error you might be receiving in the browser window (or lack of content) and we will be able to help more specifically.
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Extreme Programming - (1)Trying to code before my second cup of coffee. (2) While(1){ Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V; }
FAQ - Web-ese for &quot;Forget Asking Questions, I am to busy&quot; :p

Did you configured your IIS corectly?Did you gave script rights to the site? I hope that tomorow I'll still be alive and kicking.

when I copied the following scripts provided by Mr. tarwn into directory
<%
Option Explicit
%>
<html>
<body>
The html is showing up<br>
<%=&quot;The ASP is showing up&quot;%>
</body>
</html>

the window showes:
&quot;The html is shoowing up&quot;
&quot;The Asp is showing up&quot;

Maybe your're using session variables or cookies in your script and your IE security settings doesn't allow them to run. I hope that tomorow I'll still be alive and kicking.

I also had this problem once, the page was not showing up. The problem was that IIS was not installed correctly because of a firewall running. I stopped the firewall and re-installed it and it worked fine.

Try re-installing IIS, and type htt://localhost/

Hope this helps

If the words &quot;The ASP is showing up&quot; showed on the screen (as they did) then you are ni business. your error lies in the code, not IIS. The proof here is that the minimal amount of ASP code was executed, and with IIS either itprocesses scripts or it doesn't, no middle ground. If you would post the script you are having troubles with, we should be able to help you out.
-Tarwn ------------ My Little Dictionary ---------
Extreme Programming - (1)Trying to code before my second cup of coffee. (2) While(1){ Ctrl+C; Ctrl+V; }
Corrections - Comments made out of a desire to be helpful and repay the millions given to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back