Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why "Unable to update public free/busy data"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomedin

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
SE
Hi all,

My Outlook 2000 (on Windows 2000) gives me an "Unable to update public free/busy data. Operation failed." dialog every ten minutes, or so. An "OK" button is the only way out. What I need - nay, crave! - is a "For the love of God... Stop trying, then! Can't you see you are driving me towards insanity?" button.

Does anybody know how to make it stop trying?

I looked at Microsoft's knowledge base and was told to remove "Mail" from the Services tab in the Mail configuration in Control Panel.

Surprise! There is no Services tab...

Oh, well. I'd be most grateful, if someone could lend me a hand...

Otto

You may have bad free/busy info file.

You can regenerate and clean free/busy information by starting outlook via the run command with a command-line-switch. Can't hurt.

Exit from Outlook then click
Start Run
type in
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /CleanFreeBusy
click OK

True with the switch. There are several switches which are helpful at Microsoft's web site. However this did not work for me. I have one calendar that I have done everything to. I've exporter the info, deleted it and recreated from scratch the mailbox, imported the data and I still get no information (the lines) after July 1 2002. Why? I had other calendars with this problem that /cleanfreebusy worked on. But this one is a bear!! Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back