Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why programs programmed by BCB occupied dozens of memories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qingjin

Programmer
Oct 22, 2003
CN
First,English is not my mother tongue.
Why programs programmed by BCB occupied dozens of memories even with a empty form? It costs nearly 4M(release and stand-alone)! How to decrease or optimize the occupation of the memory?

It uses some memory yes but i'm pretty shure it can be tweaked by altering the stack-sizes. I does not, however, remember how to do it but i recall that there was a thread about heap size and how to reduce it a while ago. Search in the threads.

Totte

Does your program occupy 4MB of system memory or 4MB of hard drive space? You can ensure less disk space usage, smaller executable file, by turning on "Build with runtime packages" and "Enable RTL" stuff in the options, but then you must ship all of the required dll's with your software, which is not as easy as just building a stand-alone executable. With a blank form, your executable shouldn't be much bigger than a few hundred kbs.

The actual memory it uses in windows may be much larger, but that is typical of any windows program, and it's probably going to be almost as much memory usage with something programmed in VC++, although Borland takes care of a lot of the background tasks and therefor is less efficient sometimes, and so would probably be a little more intensive on the memory.

Chris

Thanks!

To Totte:
I couldn't find the thread you referred. I tried the keyword "stack size" and "heap size" but I failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back