Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Opera over Netscape? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbexpress

MIS
Apr 26, 2000
US
I have little experience with browsers outside of Netscape and Internet Explorer. What it the benefit/drawback of using Opera browser?

Opera v6.0 to me is certainly a winner!The only problem is it seems to take a little more time and patience to set it up to ones liking-maybe we`re all just so used to the other "big two".I really like the Quick Preferences and Delete Private Data facilities under File,and the browser seems just that little bit more lively as well.The new interface is great,but I could do without all those useless built in links,which are the first thing to go!I use the non-Java enhanced, ads. supported free version-and would reccommend it to anyone.

I too am an Opera fan. I have paid for it and don't regret it. That said there are a lot of primary sites that don't work well with it. Microsoft (suprise) and several other support sites I visit.

I know that it's because they don't adhere to strict standards, but in the final analysis- it does make it impossible for Opera to be my ONE browser.

I would much prefer that Opera was a bit more tolerant of these sites. I've heard all the arguments about emailing the sites webmaster, boycott the site, etc. No can do. As a System Admin, I don't have the luxury of NOT going to these sites. So for most things I use Opera, but I sure wish I could use it for everything...

Agree. Opera should make a 'moronic ms code' plugin and name it something like 'syntax recovery filter'.

Sounds like most/all of the lockup (etc.) problems are with the Windows versions. I'd say that Windows is more the problem than Opera. ;)

I'm using Opera 5.0 on a Linux Mandrake 7.0 system (AMD K6/2-400mHz, 64 megs RAM). I'm tickled to death with it, and will upgrade to 6.0 as soon as I find a break in my schedule. Browsing is very smooth and downloading is a breeze! I was using Netscape 4.7, and have had recent problems with it hogging the hard drive and the system, presumably as a result of eating memory and swapping to HD.

I love its Print Preview and the way you can toggle images on and off instantaneously (not the multiple clicks you have to go through in IE). You have the option to turn off pop-ups or have them open in the background - this facility works fantastically and is a real plus point. I like being able to search Google from the Opera interface and I also love the way you can find a certain word on the page just by starting to type the word.

Having said that, while Opera (v6) works perfectly on my home PC I have problems with it on my work PC where the Print Preview button causes a crash every time I try (not the File-Print Preview method though, for some reason, just the button) and where, on certain sites, not all the images appear! According to Opera's tech support the images problem is a to do with certain proxy servers. They didn't answer my point about the Print Preview crashes...

What kind of machine do you have at work?

I krashed my opera at work on a IBM when selecting import - mail. IBM is not very IBM compatible you know ;-)

Opera is:

1. Fast (jpegs are really fast!)
2. Small (11MB with V6)
3. Easy to configure and save preferences with its own separate file.
4. Only browser that will delete cookies AND cache on exit!!!
5. Only browser that will return you to all the web pages you were at if it crashes!!!
6. It doesn't feed the I.E. monster.

A couple things that no-one seemed to mention..

All windows can be contained in the opera browser. That way you only see the one item in your task bar. All browser windows are listed in operas task bar. This is an option you have to set.

Also, you can diable pop-ups! or have them pop-up in the background. This is a god-send since my email opens up so many pop-ups constantly :)

It may take a while to set all your preferences, but once you do, you'll never want to use anything else! *Suzanne*

Videobruce

Right on man. I have gotten so used to Opera doing all those things that I take it for granted!

It is just a brilliant product.

One thing I find more than useful, multiple downloads from different places at the same time.

Never works with other browsers. Steve Butterworth
Time is what you make of it

I agree, mouse gestures make Opera a sports car while the others are sedans. V7 will have a much enhanced email client, I hear.

I have Opera 6.05US, this version too freeze my windows2k sometimes.
It's an excellent browser, but about this bug, i must return to IE.
I found an explanation in
The crash is caused by incorrect encoding declaration:

<meta http-equiv=&quot;content-type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=&quot;>
As you can see, the charset is missing. Opera would also feeze if the quotation marks were omitted:
<meta http-equiv=content-type content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-2>

What about this ?

I have used opera briefly but it kept crashing. Now i use netscape 7 and i'm very impressed with it. The embedded ICQ and AOL messenger is a very good feature i find. Also you can open multiple windows (tabs) within one navigator browser window, just like opera. I'm tempted to give Opera another try when a new release comes out. But for now Netscape will do fine.

Daz M$ arn't the only option!

Netscape is about 30MB
Opera is 11 with java.

Which do you think would be faster, use less resourses, and have less problem with?

Times up...Opera.

When Idiot Exployer crashes tour screwed, especially if you have many pages open.

When Netscape crashes dito!

When Opera crashes..no problem, just restart and presto! You are returned to ALL the pages you were at when it crashed.

As far as Opera crashing, you probably have a conflict with some other program or process running and/or you have too many things going on at once!

Try NetCaptor. I'm still doing an eval, but so far I really like it. Tabs, pop up blocker, every site I've been to displays perfectly. Everything I hope Opera 7 turns out to be.

I'm a registered Opera user, waiting for v7. But NetCaptor is working for me without any issues. It will be good competition when I can compare NC to O7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back