Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why not use a colon (:) in a password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weigoldk

MIS
Jan 12, 2001
US
There are dozens of sites on the net that say a colon :)) should not be used in a secure password. Does anyone out there know the explanation for this?

Mac uses a colon as a folder path seperator like /usr/bin or \usr\in in the 'classic' MacOS it would be usr:bin I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

One item to remember is that some scripts use : as the delimiter in checking passwd fields. I am not sure if the : encripts or not.

Example:
cat /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f3
grabs the 3rd field. If you use a : does it encript?

I do know that some 3rd party software such as Etrust and Kerberos uses the : in their equations. Passwords with : may throw them off on decription.

There may be other reasons as well.

In many (and almost all UNIX) Operating systems, the : is the field seperator for the next frame of the file.

So if you create an ID : bob
and set a password mon:key
Put him in as user 200 in group 1000
His file looks like so :

bob:mon:key:200:1000::/bin/ksh

So, since the algorithm reading passwords is looking based upon colon's and expects the password to be the second field, it breaks the algorithm and just returns "mon"

-Kanth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back