Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why no votes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPluma

Programmer
Feb 3, 2002
DE
Hello

I have a poll here

but when the visitor comes to vote, the vote is not recorded (the program still shows 'no submissions').

It doesn't seem to be a database connection problem, because the questions which the poll asks are actually stored in the database.

What is the likely cause of this?

Thank you for any advice.

can you show the code!
[bomb]
I may not get it the 1st or 2nd time,
but how sweet that 15th time can be.
admin@onpntwebdesigns.com

Many thanks for your message.

Basically, there are 3 .asp files (a database and some admin files).

Rather than paste pages of code here, I have uploaded the files (as text files here, but exactly the same content) for sake of ease:

I hope you can make some sense of it! I think the code is OK, I'm just wondering if it's a server thing.

Thanks again

LaPluma
the reason that you are not updating is the permissions are set to read-only on the database or actually the directory the database resides in. To solve this problem you must enable write permissions the directory where the database resides for the IUSER_<severname> account. Your server administrator is the only one who can do this however. You will need to email or call to have them do this. Sometimes all you need to do is email a certain request from the hosting services site or within your control panel in your site. Have they set up the folder that the database resides in?

The does not seem to be anything wrong with the code side of things. Looks well written to me.

apologies no quick easy corrections.

[bomb]

Hello Onpnt

I have never been quite sure why you have the footer: I may not get it the 1st or 2nd time, but how sweet that 15th time can be, because I have found that you normally do get things right the first or second time!

I have only very recently created the database - with nothing set - so it must be a server restriction. Yes, the db directory is something already on the server when you open an account with Brinkster - and all databses must go in it (as mine has).

So, I'll fire off a message to them now!

Many thanks again!

LaPluma

NOTE someone else had a problem like this in another thread, and they could get around it by uing a different connection string .. using driver and dbq ... may not be the same problem, but the symptoms are the same. codestorm
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
select * from population where talent > 'average'
<insert witticism here>

I like the footer incase I have no answer of the bat and mumble if you will for a few posts[lol]

codestorm is correct on the use of different connection strings resulting in various results. I would try this as well. [bomb]

Hello, I have worked for a while with brinkster - nice service.
Only db directory has the permissions to write. in you r code you use \stevehigham\db\steveData\Poll.mdb - move the database in db directory and set to db/Poll.mdb - it should work.

Hello Dianal

Thanks for you post.

I have tried what you suggested, but still got error messages. Then I moved everything into the main db directory on Brinkster. It gave no error messages amd I could see the poll 'interface', but agin the vote didn't register.

I imagine that it is, therefore, something to do with permissions, so I will just have to wait for Brinkster to reply to my message.

Thanks again.

In case you want to test the different connection theory, see the first post in the thread

thread333-313129 codestorm
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
select * from population where talent > 'average'
<insert witticism here>

Hello Codestorm

Thanksa again for your post.

I have saved the thread you mentioned and will try it. Fingers crossed!

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back