Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why network printer dissappear? Need restart again and again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VCat88

Programmer
Oct 11, 2002
MY
I had a common problem on network printer. Some of the user found that the document cannot print using network printer.

When i go troubleshooting, i found that the document cannot print because all the network printer not found in Printer folder. That's why no documents can print. (I don't think is memory problem)

To troubleshoot this, i restart the print spooler. Some times it solved the problem. But is it the way that we need to do everytime? If still cannot, then the PC need to restart.

Any suggestion how to trouble-shooting this. Because the user need to restart the pc over and over again.. Troublesome..

P/S: Network mapping also the same, cannot open network computer since sometimes the pc not in network neighbourhood.

Please post some suggestion so we can solved this kind of printer problem. Thank you.

Are you using McAfee Anti Virus? OS?

I had an issue with McAfee and printing (Some time ago)where halfway through a print job the spooler will hang and the network printers will disappear. The user would restart to regain the printers but this was a consistent problem and the spooler probably would hang within the next few print jobs.

The fix:
Check the version of the Spoolss.dll file.. Look for a newer virsion from a more recent release of Windows/SP.

Are you using Server 2003 as a print server? It sometimes has issues with losing the IP of the printer.
Fix is to port directly to the printer and not use a print server.

pc.gif

Jomama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back