Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Netbackup does not restore original owner or permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

IThead

MIS
Sep 6, 2002
US
Hi,
When I restore files from Netbackup (v3.4), why NB does not restore the original owner/permission, it set owner to whoever is running the restore.

Thanks

Are you doing a cross restore here, if so then you would need to set the parameter to allow resetting of soft and hard links, this maintains original permissions.

As far as I understand it - The permissions are set after each directory has completed. If you are just restoring a file, it inherits the permissions of the directory that you install it to - But I may be wrong on this :)

Under NetBackup 5.0 there is now an option to restore or not to restore Access control lists when you run a restore.

llamagmon,
Are you doing a cross restore here, if so then you would need to set the parameter to allow resetting of soft and hard links, this maintains original permissions.

Where do I set this parameter?

in CLI set up the restore you want to perform, initiate restore
overwrite y/n
restore directories without cross mounting etc
use progress log etc
enter progress log etc
use destination path etc
Rename hard links relative to destination path? (y/n) (y):
Rename soft links relative to destination path? (y/n) (y):
(obviously choose which is appropriate for what you are restoring)
Initiating restore

if using the GUI
Once you have clicked on the restore button you will be able to select restore options,this is where to include rename hard and soft links, what PHGPhanton says is correct when restoring to same location, unfamiliar with V5, but I'd bet he is correct, but in 3.4.1 I have found this needs to be done.

I am running into this one myself now. We are running 4.5 FP5. We are finding two serious problems. We are using the auth.conf file to grant non-root admin access to users, say user1 and having them do the restore from the client not the media server so we can limit them to restoring only to systems they can access.

However, we are finding that when they try to restore to that system, they are getting errors that they do not have permission to restore to some directories - problem 1.

Second, when they do restore files, the files end up being owned by user1 instead of the original ownership from the backup. This is a huge issue when we are trying to recover a system. Is there a parameter similar to "KEEP_ORIGINAL_ATIME" that would allow us to keep original ownership? Once we grant non_root admin, shouldn't they have access to restore anything on that system? Please help, this is blowing all of our Internal Controls for SOX out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back