Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

why my connection is too slow? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowayout

Programmer
Feb 25, 2003
US
Hi all,

I am tired already to solve this. cannot figure out why?

I have SQL Enterprise but it takes forever to connect the the server, but the problem is that the db server is working fine. i don;t have any problem with connecting from other computer, but i takes forever to connect. I did reinstall it but still, and now it does not open Analyzer also..

Please help me

Thanks a lot...

and when i tried to open Analyzer it opens as background and doesnot show up on screen. what could be the problem???

Which version of SQL Server is installed? Are the client and server updated to the latest Service Pack?

Do one or more of the datbases have the AutoClose option set ON? If yes, set the option OFF. AutoClose causes SQL Server to close databases when not in use. When Enterprise Manager opens, it must enumerate all databases so they must be opened. This can really slow down Enterprise Manager. If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and thread183-468158.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Hi,

I have SQL 2K installed and yeah i do have latest version of service pack is installed.

All the databases are set off auto colse mode. but still it runs really slow.

What could be the reason.

please help me out.

thanks..

Have you considered you might have some bad network hardware. Maybe a bad NIC card or some flaky wiring or a bad hub or too many users trying to connect simultaneously through one hub or router. We had these sorts of problems in our old building and they mysteriously went away when we came to this one and installed a brand new network.

yeah i checked everything everything working fine but only when i am trying to connect through my computer to server i get this problem and can;t even figure it out?
and on the top of that when i am trying to open analyzer it does not open just runs in background as isqlw.exe so don;t know really confuse about this?

help???

Regarding the query analyzer not showing up, I have seen that happen when an ODBC trace is running. Stopping the trace fixed the problem.

how do i stopp it because i cannot even open profiler only thing i can open is enterprise and it connect really really slow.

thanks

there is no trace is going on so don;t know why this is happening?

get me out of this nightmare please?

thanks,,,

Regarding the slow connection:
Have you checked with the System/Network Admin? Maybe they made some changes that are affecting your connection. Perhaps they've added a firewall or changed the properties of an existing firewall.

-SQLBill

yeah i cheked that too but net. admin hasn;t changed anything.

Try one of the computers that you know works on your network connection instead of your computer. If there are no problems you can then isolate the problem to your computer. If there are problems then you can prove the network is the problem.

Next take the NIC card out of the good computer and replace your NIC card and see if the problem still happens. This way you can eliminate having a flaky NIC card.

The last thing to do is check how that computer and yours are set up and make yours match the working one as much as possible. Check the MDAC file version. Check all the option settings in Enterprise Manager. Check all the registry settings and DLLs, etc. Make sure you are connecting as TCP/IP; sometimes we had someone get set up as Named pipes instead and got slow connections. Try reinstalling again.

If you can get into Performance monitor, you could set it up to see what is happening when you try to connect. See what spikes when you do and maybe you will figure out the source of the problem.

Was anything at all changed about your computer or the system environment just before this happened. Even if it seems like something unrelated it could be the source of the problem.

Thank you all finally i got it working i really appriciated your help me in this rough time.

Thanks a lot, you guys are Great

the main problem was the trace was goin on SQL.log and as well as at the same time the Visual Studio was running both at the same time and it was taking the processor time during this long time . i went into to ODBC connection and then figured out that somehow the trace was started and because of that my computer was taking forever to connect to the db server.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back