Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why isn't my DefaultLogonDomain working?? Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcr0

Technical User
Apr 28, 2001
US
I'm trying to get my FTP setup so that I don't have to type in the domain and the user name. The only solution to this that I've heard of is by changing the DefaultLogonDomain key in the MSFTPSVC section of the metabase. I tried this using adsutil.vbs. I made sure to stop and start my FTP too. But still, it won't let me logon without typing the domain first!

Please help.. this is very frustrating

Have you made your Windows 2000 Server a member of the Domain? I cant be sure but I think this might have some thing to do with it.
Right click on My Computer
Go to Properties
Go to Network Identification
Then click on the Properties button
Down where it says member of click Domain and put the Domain name in and Hit ok.

Remember ONLY a Network Domain Administrator can add your puter to a domain. So you may need their help unless you are the Domain admin guy.

BTW.. the only user I can logon without having to type in the domain is Administrator. I even tried setting my "ftp" user to the Administrators group, but that didn't work either. Everytime I type in ftp as the user it says "331 Anonymous access allowed...", but when I type DOMAIN\ftp it works. I don't know what the problem is. I tried turing off anonymous access.. no good. And yes, I have the "Log on Locally" covered.

One strange thing I'd like to note: Whenever I type in a name, like "ffff" it assumes that it's not anonymous and asks for a password, but I don't have an "ffff" user. And when I type "ftp" as the user, it assumes it's anonymous. It doesn't do that for any user except "ftp" and "anonymous". And I tried deleting the "ftp" user, and now it's asking me for a password for that user, instead of assuming it's anonymous. Of course, since the user no longer exists, the logon fails.

I don't know what that means, but maybe it is part of the problem.

Yes the domain is set. I named it "server" for less complication right now.

And for the DefaultLogonDomain key I also set that to server, but I've testing endless things with it, such as "server\" "SERVER", etc

none of them worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back