Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why isn't backup working..Whats the procedure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
Hey fellas..I have set up several backups in the past..i love veritas but in these situations i am using ntbackup that came with server. does anyone know what the correct procedure to setting up backups? here is what i do..first in the situation that the tapes are behind reused. I backup a little file on each tape..when the prompt up comes up i name it what i want..IE Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday..after that i chk the removable storage for all the backups to make sure they are there. then i chk backup and make sure they are all logged in to backup. Then i set my scheduling up and set up monday to use monday media and set to overwrite media. then of course give a user name and pass with the admin priv..i problem i am having is that the backups are not working. i set up two servers and they both don't work..both in different environments..another server i set up works fine.but these two arn't?? i cleaned the drives with a tape cleaner a couple of times..can anyone give me some insight plz...i need to get this working..

Thanks, PAUL

In my experience ntbackup is not the best at scheduling. Have you tried to do a full backup without the scheduling?

Have you tried to do a small test scheduled backup during the day and see what it does?

Have you checked the logs?

Make sure you have entered a password and are not using a blank one. Sounds crazy but I have seen problems with this in the past. Good luck.

Yes i have done a manaul backup and that works fine...but when i schedule it it gives me this log The operation was not performed because the specified media cannot be found.

----------------------

Thanks, PAUL

I use ntbackup (2000 server) and it works good for me runs 5 nights a week error free. however it is not fast as others on the market ,but its free. I have used nbackup with dat8 and now with dlt 40/80.

a few thoughts

1. label your tapes and schedule your jobs with the day of the week monday,etc.

2. in your scheduled jobs task you will see them , ie monday backup= monday's tape. this works great for me.

3. start ntbackup and pick a small file to backup , select the backup now button and select new media. give the tape and the job the same name.

4. this gives you the tape and the job task name (monday)

5. now that you have a tape named monday , schedule the job for whatever time @0200 and your done. just create the tape for each backup day you want and do the same for 1st of the month assuming you have enought tapes.

you have to have admin rights and admin password or it will not run. and of course make sure task manager is running under services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back