Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is Windows 10 Free 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbojimbo

Vendor
Jul 2, 2002
US
Is it possible Windows 10 if free because the government needs it to spy on us?

No. Stop it. You're imagining things.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than innovative agile big data clouds)

You're probably right. I don't think the government would be tracking anything I do without first having probable cause and getting a search warrant.

And I don't think Microsoft would allow itself to be bullied by the Federal Government, even with the potential loss of hundreds of thousands of Microsoft Office licenses and their revenue stream.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than innovative agile big data clouds)

On a serious note...the update to Windows 10 includes a 1-year license, not a free forever license. You'll have to purchase something at the end of that year. So MAYBE, just MAYBE, by offering it for one year free they are planning to have a revenue stream larger than by making you buy it up front. Kind of like the TV commercials: "Try it for one year, risk free, no commitment"

If you don't want to pay after that year, move to something else, otherwise you buy it.

20150820 - I was informed I was wrong in some of my previous statements. I have issued a correction in a later post but also updated this one....

By offering it free for a year, they can draw in people who would not normally move to it right away. That also decreases their support life cycles for their older OSs.

And let's not forget some of the great features they have added to the OS. I am not an M$ fan by any real means. I prefer a flavor of Linux for most of my work. But this OS is quite streamlined from a developer/maintaining standpoint. A single base of code, minor form-factor code differences, newest code tech and best practices...Overall, the OS is sweet. It might even take over my Linux box in the near future. All the best features of Windows 7, with some of the good features from 8.1 Sure, we still have some crap in the OS I don't appreciate or use, but I am sure those features are useful in other form-factors and/or for persons of various skill levels.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
C#.NET Programmer

>You'll have to purchase something at the end of that year

Um, no. You can update from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 for free until July 2016. After that, you have to pay for the update. If you updated for free, you are not obliged to pay for anything after a year.

You are correct. I had misinformation from a vendor. M$ website does show that this will be free if you upgrade before July 2016.

Everything else in my post still mostly applies.....Moving people to newer tech, decreasing support for older OSs, etc.

Thanks for correcting me.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
C#.NET Programmer

Oh, Microsoft most definitely would never let themselves be bullied by the federal government. Just like they moved to higher level encryption, just like there was never a NSA backdoor, and just like there was never a flight simulator in Excel.

Well, looks like Microsoft wasn't content to wait for all of us to get on Windows 10 and has downloaded "spy" programs as part of updates for Windows 7 and 8. I never suspected Microsoft would do anything to my computer without my permission. Wow, I'm really really upset with them. I'd sue them except that my damages are limited to nearly nothing in the EULA.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile innovative cognitive big data clouds)

It seems to me that MicroSoft is in violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse act. Article 2 states...

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Fraud_and_Abuse_Act[/URL]](2) intentionally accesses a computer without authorization or exceeds authorized access, and thereby obtains—

(A) information contained in a financial record of a financial institution, or of a card issuer as defined in section 1602 (n) [1] of title 15, or contained in a file of a consumer reporting agency on a consumer, as such terms are defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.);
(B) information from any department or agency of the United States; or​
(C) information from any protected computer;

They are exceeding authorized access. I would imagine their crime gets worse when you look at them doing the same level of access to government owned computers.

Unfortunately you gave permission for Microsoft to access your computer when you agreed to the EULA.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

There is a very precise definition of what a "protected computer" is. Microsoft are not in violation of that section of the Computer Fraud and Abuse act, and are not breaking the law.

That doesn't mean they are not doing stuff that you disagree with, but that's a different matter.

Note: "protected computer" in the context of the CFAA has already been interpreted by one court to be "any computer connected to the internet".

I do agree that I'm not seeing how Microsoft is in violation of the CFAA. At most, Microsoft will take a P/R hit only and will probably acquiesce and make it easier to opt-out of their data collection. Maybe.

Well, when you specifically "opt out", and then they still take information, that seems to me to be the definition of exceeding authorized access.

Also, pushing it to Windows 7 and 8 systems where I never agreed to it in the first place seems to be crossing a line. Of course I never read the EULA. Does it actually say "we can do anything to your computer or your information on your computer, now and at any time in the future"?

I love the fact that people who dislike something Microsoft have done immediately assume that this must mean Microsoft have a) done something illegal, or b) must have a EULA that allows them to do anything they like.

Neither a nor b is true.

>make it easier to opt-out of their data collection

Yes, this is the real crux of the matter.

The government doesn't need microsoft to spy on us. They scan everything going through the internet anyway

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

>Yet.

There are a number of territories, for example Europe, where that would indeed be illegal. And the EU has been happy to take on and beat MS in court on several occasions.

M$ response to my disabling their "junk" is to provide a message in the lower right corner of my PC that says "This copy of Windows is not Genuine". Of course, some of the "junk" that I disabled might be considered "necessary" by the Mother Ship.

MS just sux with respect to "resident" programs. There are a large number of programs that stay resident in memory even when their parent process(es) are gone, and many processes are loaded at start-up (or delayed start-up) for no good reason. While MS and their groupies might disregard this as a minor difficulty, any program that is running could potentially be used for nefarious activities by someone who can communicate with that program. Leaving unnecessary programs resident in memory for no good reason is bad. Wastes memory even if they are completely secure from outside manipulation.

adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than agile innovative cognitive big data clouds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back