Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is the size of my image in PShop different in Illustrator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobBT

MIS
Dec 12, 2006
CH
I built an appointments card in PShop CS3 in B&W. I then realized the print quality would not be good enough.

I started again in Illustrator CS3. I'm surprised find that although I've used the same dimensions, (W 55mm x H 85mm) I can't get as much information on the card in illustrator, as I did in PShop.
Can anyone tell what i'm doing wrong.

I hope, thanks in advance.

Bob T

...photoshop deals with pixel data (dpi), so 100% view will look different to that of illustrator, even though they are the same...

...300dpi set in photoshop looks huge at 100% zoom, but is in fact the same size in illustrator (assuming the exact same physical print dimensions, 100% zoom)...

andrew

============
============

Thanks Andrew for your prompt reply.
The problem is that in the original, I had space for eight lines but in Illustrator I can only fit in seven lines.

The sizes of the text, the lines, plus the spaces, are all the same dimensions as the PS version.
Is there something am I missing on the setup menu.

The reason I moved from PS to Illustrator was because of the fuzzy pixel text. If I need to go back to PS, is 800 dpi sufficient to cure the fuzzy pixels for B&W print.

Bob T

...your better off using illustrator really, keeping the text as vector text...

...i would adjust the font sizes and line heights to get it to fit...

...without seeing the artwork you have created in photoshop, it's difficult to problem solve, but it sounds like there is a difference somewhere along the line...

...place the photoshop file in illustrator and compare...

andrew

============
============

As apepp says you can import the Photoshop file into Illustrator and compare them.

I sometimes work right on top of an old image when I have to match something exactly. Then just delete it when I have completed the art work.

My guess is that the leading isn't exactly the same in both files so that the type uses more hight.

Do the lines break in the same places in both files?
If line lengths are the same then just reduce the leading until it will fit.

Mke

Thanks for all your help.

Part of the problem was my inexperience and insecurity with Illustrator. After reading Andrews response I felt more confident that I wasn't doing something stupid with the doc setup.
What I had overlooked, the lines were slightly thicker in Illustrator than the PShop version, which was enough to give me only seven lines instead of eight.
A lesson learned.

I'll check the leading to make sure all is OK, hopefully I'll be able to glean back a little more space.

Thanks again to you both Bob T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back