Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is the processor stuck on 100% usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
I'm running windows xp pro on a 1.3Ghz PIII, with 1Gb RAM, and 120Gb h/d. the problem is, I noticed the system becoming very choppy and jerky, when I checked the processes and cpu usage, I noticed the 'system idle process' is using 95% of the cpu, all other processes are using upto 5%, what can cause the system idle process to use so much cpu usage? even when I 'end task' all but the system processes, the system idle process is still using 95% of the cpu usage, even after a safe mode restart, it's still the same.

On XP your System Idle process will show anywhere from 97 - 99 usage, but if you look at your CPU usage at the bottom of the task manager it will show 0% to 1% usage with all other apps closed.

Cheers.

The idle process is actually the "non-process". Meaning if it is on 95% your CPU has pretty much nothing to do at all. Have you listened to the harddisk? Some programs load and save data pretty often, especially P2P programs and other disk-intensive apps. Having 1GB of RAM should help with most other memory needs, actually...

haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

you also might try running virus, adware and spyware scans to be on the safe side. Sometimes those will cause sys to slow down.

Yes, actually, that is a pretty common cause for such slowdowns...

I have run ad-aware, norton antivirus, spybot-search and destroy, hijackthis, and the system is clean.

Normally (at boot time) I have mysql, pgptray, an ftp file server, norton antivirus, itouch (keyboard driver), yamaha softsynth, creative labs webcam go control panel, running in the taskbar, but when I close all these programs down, and just have the system processes running, (services.exe, spoolsv.exe, 5 instances of svhost.exe, system, winlogon.exe, and system idle process), the system idle process still shows 95% cpu usage, services.exe flucuated between 20-28%, then the system idle process drops to 80%, but even that's high, taskmgr only uses about 2%, all others use 0% until executed.

I tried doing a system restart, then executed paint, then watched the cpu usage, system idle shot to 100% and there was a problem with using paint, but when I closed paint, system idle process dropped to 95%.

I checked with a friends computer running the same xp pro, but with 128Mb ram, he has plenty on the taskbar, his system idle process fluctuated between 20-30%

well im not sure what to say about why your sys is slowing down, but i know that it is fairly commen for the system idle process to take that much cpu percentage. My home pc's sys idle is about the same but with out the slowdown in preformance. Try running task manager and clicking on the processes tab. check what your sys idle % is, now click on the preformance tab, if you have no programs running other than task manager the CPU Usage display should be around 0-5 %. Please post back what u find.

Thanks

Yes...good points on the Sys Idel Process (cmeagan\haslo)

Ive never noticed that particular process, nor did I ever have to notice it till now....

Run your Task Manager Usalabs, then drag your Task Manager box around your desktop (or shake your mouse, as this changes cpu usage as well)You can see the idle process decrease. So my two cents would be you have something running background, possibly. Update your virus defs and spyware reference file and do a good scan. I know you said you did that, but are they updated? Whats your page file usage look like. CPU overheating? Check your fans.Keep an eye on it and keep us posted.

Good Luck!

I can't follow your worries about the "System Idle Process" being around 90 - 100%, the higher the better. When it is down to 0 - 20%, then I would be concerned as to what was using the processes.

Have a look at the Memory Usage, "System Idle Process" should be about 16K only. What are your high user processes of memory? Anything higher than Explorer (about 25,000K)?

I notice you may be running pgp, that has been known to cause problems, see this long thread.

Right Click on Folders Hangs Explorer
thread779-764870

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

Other things to look at too.

How does your machine run in Safe Mode?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

And don't forget to look in your Event Viewer, you might have a few red X's or Warnings in there.

Let's restate that in plain text:

The system idle process means your Kernel is looping empty, with the process queue empty, waiting for something to do. A processor does not simply "not work" when it has nothing to do, but loops empty. Unless you have a Crusoe or other mobile-targeted processor, some of those are able to throttle down when they have nothing to do. And an empty process queue means that as soon as there is something in that queue, the processor will jump right at it. "System Idle Process" means "I'm waiting for you, dear user".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back