Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my WLAN so SLOW??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2002
GB
Hi
I'm using a 3com 8000 access point and 3com 3CRSHPW696 cards. There are 3 wifi machines connected to a Windows 2000 domain.
When I log on it takes around 15 minutes for my 30mb roaming profile to transfer. Similarly, browsing the network feels more like being on the internet than a LAN.
Any ideas/suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Chris

It is very hard to give you an exact reason because many things could be contributing to the problem you are having.

To help troubleshoot the problem, I would shut down the two other systems that share the wireless network with you and see if there is any noticeable improvement.

If not, shut your system down and try one of the other systems that connects wirelessly to the Win 2000 server. How does this one behave? Better, worse or about the same?

Now, if this second system you just used works noticeably faster I would next be looking the 3CRSHPW696 card in your system or maybe the configuration as compared to the other systems.

The problem also might be that sharing a wireless WiFi network is much closer to using the net than a typical wired LAN.

Assuming all three computers are connecting at the maximum rate and that WEP has been enabled the total possible shared network bandwidth is less than 5 Mbps. If three people are constantly doing large file transfers, printing across the network and other heavy network usage, you network connection will slow down to a crawl.

Maybe you could provide us with a little more information we might be able to help you some more. How far are you away from the access point? Is there anything else in the area like cordless phones that might be interfering with the signal? Are there obstructions in between you and the access point or do you have good, clear Line Of Sight?

Hope this helps.

how ever fast your network is I would say that 30MB is too big for a profile, can't you move some of those documents off your desktop and into your home directory?

I wrote a longish answer to this question a little over a week ago in a different Forum. If the advice there does not help let me know.

Best.

thread779-540080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back