Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my hard drive less than indicated in BIOS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gomirage

Programmer
Jun 3, 2003
US
hey everyone,
I have a dell latitude than i just bought second hand. the seller told me it 6 GIG hard drive and the BIOS confirm it (it says 6485 Mega).
But when using it with Windows 98 the hard drive (C) says only 1.99 Gig. How can i have the entire 6G available on the C. I do not have any other drive beside the CD-Rom drive that i guess is not using the missing 4 GIG.
Any help will be appreciated

use a boot disk and run fdisk...It will most likely show that only a partition of 2GB was created, now you can either partition the remaining 4GB and create a drive d: or e: or if you have software to put back on it, you can erase the c: partition and start over creating a new one,but you will loose all data on the drive...The third option is to use a program called partition magic,this will add in the unused space retaining the software on the original partition.
Rich

There is no way i can do it in Windows ? I am really affraid of loosing my data on the C.

Your drive has (probably) been partitioned as fat(16) - max size 2Gb rather than fat32 (large disk support turned off in fdisk). Rich's advice covers the options you have pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back