Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why is my Definity giving me the cold shoulder? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

teleone

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hi Guys,

When I came in Monday, the computer I use to log CDR's had crashed. After a few hours of changing boards and some confusion (I recently stopped smoking) I got it back up.

Strangely, it still would not log the cdr traffic for me. I then discovered that I could not log on to the Definity using the terminal, the terminal works fine for the AUDIX. I got the lap top and tried the INADS port, no joy it just rings and never answers.

I have no way to communicate with the Definity. I have done a hard reboot , no change. I know that this a serious problem and mosty likely need a new board.

I guess I am looking for a few words of wisdom, and a clue to which board or boards are the culprit.

Thank in advance for you kind guidance.

teleone

Sorry brain freeze, I forgot you can't log in.

As far as the "Orange Flash Card" here is the info I just got directly from Avaya.

1.Orange Flash Card: The flash card is a maintenance tool that provides the switch generic software load. It enables self-maintainers to immediately restore a switch during maintenance situations. The flash card can be purchased by any Maintenance ASSIST customer with a DEFINITY G3 system (excluding G3iV1 or G3r). Customers purchasing the orange flash card must:

¨ sign a licensing agreement before ordering or purchasing the flash card, this agreement is included in the Professional Services Statement of work

¨ purchase Maintenance ASSIST for each site using the flash card

¨ provide Avaya with the specific software load for each flash card

10 MB card is $2200
20 MB card is $3600 (for G3v5 and above)

Note: Avaya provides a 30-day software assurance period on each flash card so the customer can determine if the software load is correct. There is no warranty on the flash card.

The Orange Flash card will restore or upgrade the firmware on your processor board. Assuming that the problem is software corruption it may be the cheaper method, but if the problem is a physical fault then the orange card won't help. You may be putting good money in a bad processor.

Bobg1, ETAC,

I'm not sure how we got to the the Orange Flash Card. My PBX is running fine, I don't think I have corrupted software. I have ordered a TN 790 card, it should be here Tuesday. When it arrives I will look to see that it is the same or later ventage as the card I currently have. Assuming it is I intend to power down, plug and play.

What am I missing?

teleone

You should be fine with replacing the Processor. There is not much more you can do but wait till next week.

8400 modems do work with a release 6 G3si. I use two of them. They are much easier to set up than a 7400, but again, with no access it is pointless.

After you replace the card I recommend you get an 8400 to hook up NETCON. Way worth the cost. plugs into serial port of PC.

Thanks for all of the great info and help. The price is right too!!!!

teleone

Teleone,
If I understand the way the switch is setup, the definity software is stored on the processor pack. So if you need to change out your processor you will have to reload the software. Hence that is why i put the info on concerning the orange flash card, that is what avaya will sell to reload the software.
I may not be 100% correct on this, I have never had to do replace a processor. If I am not I hope someone will say so.
There may also be some way around this, I don't know.

Bobg1,

You are correct. The software is located on the firmware of the processor pack. Since there are no TN790s being produced new, the only ones available are refurbs that already have a firmware load. The only thing teleone needs to do is make sure the firmware load is the same or higher than his current TN790. Have a great weekend everyone.

Dave

To All That Responded:

The replacement card arrived, it was the same vintage. I have installed the new card and all is right and good in the world again.

Many thanks to all that gave their good advice.

MMMMM, now I am wondering what caused this problem in the first place. Did a bad processor card take out the ports and the PC? Or was it a bad PC that took out the processor ports? Back ground information, a couple of months back I lost a hard drive on the PC that is logging the CDR traffic.

Thanks again, I would appreciate your thoughts.

teleone

Follow question
Did the system retain your RTU?
DOn't know if thats tied into the firmware or saved
with translations.

Bobg1,

As best I can tell, everything is just as I last saw it. The TN 790 was the same version and Rev. Needless to say, I am a happy camper.

Teleone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back